• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bloody Mary Buggy Build

Dillehay

Here's the story:

Once upon a time two county boys wanted to build a tube buggy, build not buy. So that's were we started.....Took a lot of pic's of others buggys, talked to Jimmy Smith, Brian Cole, Timmy Cameron, Essential Off Road, Hell we talked to anybody that would talk to us. We wheeled any chance we got and watched how the other buggys worked. Wrote the ideas down and finally started bending tube. We got Timmy involved in between his (three) buggy builds (holy **** he built three while we were still working on one). It took us so long because Kelly (Dougs wife and banker) would hide money from us, we sold scrap, Kelly's Toyota Truggy, Dougs racing 4-wheeler, a few cows and pretty much anything not bolted down or needed for this build. I'm going to start in reverse engineering mode, i.e. pics of finished buggy and then the build. If you like please say so, if you don't be very very quite. You may hurt our feellings ;D
First I'd like to thank a few,Timmy Cameron, Scotty Hoffman, Junior Phillips, Shane Watkins, Joe Matlock, Mo Crutcher, Troy Crutcher, Amos, Jay Johnson and Kellye Hayes (Dougs wife and the financier of project) Lisa Dillehay (my wife for putting up with late nites and grease) if I misspell name sorry, if I leave somebody out that thinks they did something positive remind me. PD

Here are the pics. I've got a bunch. Thanks for looking.

First time out of the shop on its own power
BloodyMaryfinishedpics009.jpg

BloodyMaryfinished.jpg

BloodyMaryfinishedpics146.jpg

BloodyMarysidetrees.jpg

BloodyMaryrearclose.jpg

BloodyMaryfinishedpics070.jpg

BloodyMaryfinishedpics127.jpg

BloodyMaryBelly.jpg

BloodyMarybatterybox.jpg

BloodyMaryfinishedpics051.jpg

I'll post more later so I don't over load the thread.

Build specs

SB350 flat top pistons, Lunati VooDoo cam, alum heads, 300-350hp (non educated guess on hp)
TH400 TCI full manual valve body
NP205 with big shaft ford rear output
14 bolt rear with 456 gears
D60 front 456 detroit locker 35 spline outers (this will more than likely break soon)
44" uncut TSL front and rear 32 bolt bead locks.
16spline long travel drive shafts from Drive shaft superstore
2" 7075 solid aluminum links with 1.25 heims
tubing is 1.75 .120 dom on cage and 1.75 .188 dom on bottom frame and shock hoops
16" fox coilovers 250/350 blue coil springs (this will probably change)

More finished pics (tried to do the fancy pics like Ricky B.....**** it I'm not that creative)

Dash

BloodyMarydashcloseup.jpg

Propane injected

BloodyMarymixerpic.jpg

Rear frame rails mated to one upright

BloodyMaryPSplumbing.jpg

Now for the before pics we did a bunch of scratching our heads, drinking and cussing
two trips to the E.R. later, one caused by a mad bull (you would buck too if somebody was cutting your nuts out) and the other by welding wire puncturing Dougs arm

Day one

Dougsbuggycalfpicsblacksammypics041-1.jpg

Dougsbuggycalfpicsblacksammypics040-1.jpg

Day two
Dougsbuggycalfpicsblacksammypics049-1.jpg

Dougsbuggycalfpicsblacksammypics047-1.jpg

Rear frame and start on the top of cage

Dougsbuggycalfpicsblacksammypics045-1.jpg

First bend of cage
JeepPicsTimmyDougJayWillie8-15-11012.jpg

Second bend of cage

JeepPicsTimmyDougJayWillie8-15-11013.jpg

Timmy visited and in about an hour had this eyebrow set up

Dougsbuggycalfpicsblacksammypics050-1.jpg

cage coming together

Dougsbuggycalfpicsblacksammypics053-1.jpg

too many bars or not?????

Dougsbuggycalfpicsblacksammypics054-1.jpg

Front mock up done, hell it's not a mock up since it's welded

WITCNewyears2011070.jpg

Frame side view

Dougsbuggycalfpicsblacksammypics030.jpg

Do not weld.......Welded Dammit! Oh well it'll have to work.

Dougsbuggycalfpicsblacksammypics032.jpg

Front side bars added

WITCNewyears2011068.jpg

Dash started

Dougsbuggycalfpicsblacksammypics016-1.jpg

Steering mount.....Damn there is a lot of **** to weld-grind-weld-grind

Dougsbuggycalfpicsblacksammypics017-1.jpg

Radiator mounted

Dougsbuggycalfpicsblacksammypics023-1.jpg

Rear link mounts

Dougsbuggycalfpicsblacksammypics026-1.jpg

Propane tank cage

Dougsbuggycalfpicsblacksammypics015-1.jpg

Water goes here

Dougsbuggycalfpicsblacksammypics020-1.jpg

and here

Dougsbuggycalfpicsblacksammypics021-1.jpg

dash is finished or so we thought another 3-4 hours of welding-grinding-welding-grinding to do

Dougsbuggycalfpicsblacksammypics033.jpg

I'll add more later

very nice job guys!!! :dblthumb: the only thing i would change on my buggy is dual propane tanks, long rides i hav a buddy carry xtra tank 4 me

I see two problems......

I think ya'll ate those cows ;D....

and you & Doug did way too good a job, it looks bought NOT built :eek:

Lotsa of hard work, great job...BADASS BUGGY :dblthumb:

nice build, I got a ??? though. when you guys are running the cooling through the tubes, are you plugging the tube front and rear of the fittings??? I plan to do this on my next build and was just wondering.

xjpaddler said:
nice build, I got a ??? though. when you guys are running the cooling through the tubes, are you plugging the tube front and rear of the fittings??? I plan to do this on my next build and was just wondering.
Yeah

Nice rig by the way...

xjpaddler said:

Yes, we ran the cooling in the top tube of the bottom frame. There are a couple of splice joints one in the rear and one in the front. we used a solid piece of round tube that we had machined down to fit the id of the 1.75 x .120 tubing. It was machined with a close tolerance, almost had to drive it in with a hammer. Plug welded it top and bottom and around the solid piece. We had a couple of leaks but added some stop leak and they went away. We got that advice from Timmy, he always puts a couple of stop leak "pills" in his buggys that have the coolant in the frame tubes.

thanks, i was thinking that was the way it was done.

Really like the build, nice to see something built without a huge junk of money spent.