• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The 'Rock Taping' inspired Jeep build

offroadwerks

Psalm 23:4
About 4-5 years ago, I saw this video on Gray Rock ORV's website and it inspired me to build a 1 ton jeep that could take some abuse like the ones at the begining of the video. I had progressed from a stock CJ-5 with lock rites and 33's to built scout 44 axles on 36" sx's with a 4'' spring under lift. It was a capable rig with a fuel injected 304 and a T-18/Dana 20 but I wanted to go more heavy duty. And several years later here is what I've come up with. Probably ten years behind to most standards but I hope to have a capable and dependable family rig.

THE Rock taping

Decided that the 73 CJ frame was not the best foundation for a 4 linked 1 ton build. So.....I am using a YJ frame and tub with a CJ hood and grill. Dana 60 front and rear. 350 tbi. 465/205 combo.

photo2.jpg

This is the frame and body I almost went with. ^^^

2RED-1.jpg

Here is the frame the day I pulled the body off and you can see the 1 ton donor truck in the background. ^^^

4RED-1.jpg

053.jpg

Here is the frame and the body that I am working with. ^^^

100_1761-1.jpg

Was gonna be a sprung over front and quarter eliptic rear. ^^^

Was not happy with wheel base or ride height. So I ditched this suspension set up and 4 linked the front and ditched the rear springs and went with rear coil overs.

SANY0167-1.jpg

SANY0169-1.jpg

Freshened everything up with some paint. vvv
IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

Started on the roll cage. vvv
z.jpg

y.jpg

dds.jpg

b.jpg

Started on wiring and dash. vvv
cs.jpg

i.jpg

That is where it sits right now in the middle of plumbing brakes, steering and fuel lines. Hoping to have it finished in the next month.
I'm recovering from some eye surgery and have some lifting restrictions for a few days and I've always wanted to do a build thread so this is keeping me occupied and out of the shop for a few nights...

Here are some more specs:

*I think the last set of recentered hummer wheels from USA 6x6??
*42"Pit Bull Rockers
*RPM Offroad drive flanges
*Spicer 35 splined outers
*PSC double ended ram
*BTF trusses and hi steer arms
*FSR aluminum radiator
*Sway a way coilovers
*35 Splined rear Dana 60 w/Moser shafts
*5:38s with full spools front and rear
*2" dom links with 7/8 QA1 heims
*RCI fuel cell
*wiring by Jims Performance
*Corbeau seats
*Mostly dom roll cage
*twinned sticked and clocked 32 splined 205 case

Another pic of cage, I kinda copied one that I liked bar for bar almost.

dd.jpg

On the bumpstops, I've seen 'em a lot lower but I think you can build one too low also. Belly should be around 23" at ride height??

cc.jpg

Had the opportunity to try my hand at running a offroad shop for a couple of years,,,,Had to give it up and get a real job:( ,had to sell my 2 post lift when I moved everything back home and I sure do miss it.:( , the lift that is......

frontdroop-1.jpg

bluzuk80 said:
Craig you do top-notch work, hope you recover well from eye surgery
Thanks Tim,
Speeding said:
Sweet build! I shot and edited that video. Pretty cool!
Cool, I was shooting for RBD 11 for my finish date, If I'm not finished by then I will be riding shotgun with Santa Clause in his buggy, We were there last year, had a blast thumb.gif

Hurry up we are getting tired of waiting on you to finish this heap :****: Jeep is looking sweet buddy give me a call about going to RBD :dblthumb:

nealcj8 said:
Hurry up we are getting tired of waiting on you to finish this heap :****: Jeep is looking sweet buddy give me a call about going to RBD :dblthumb:
Me too!!! and I'll call you. Santa has a transfer case on the way, so he should be ready for RBD. :D

offroadwerks said:
Cool, I was shooting for RBD 11 for my finish date, If I'm not finished by then I will be riding shotgun with Santa Clause in his buggy, We were there last year, had a blast thumb.gif

Awesome. I hope you can get it finishd in time! Gonna be a good'n!