• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

3D art: Self designed buggy.

nutswinger

So, here's a buggy I'm designing for a free simulator called Rigs of Rods.

Some specs:
Dana60 with rockwell outters front and back :flipoff1:
Powerglide transmission
Atlas II transfercase
Chevy 350 sized v8 engine
Wrangler YJ front end
Comache tail lights
Poison spyder diff covers

It's not done yet, but please tell me what you think, and what can be done better:

YJBuggy13.png

YJBuggy14.png

YJBuggy15.png

YJBuggy16.png

What can be done better? Build it! :flipper:

Seriously tho, I wouldn't change a damn thing. Other rigs like this perform very well. Just got back from a werock event where about 4 rigs were pretty similar to yours, and I saw them roll to at least 55° before they even started to worry about flopping. Just remember, low CoG and you got it licked! :dblthumb:

I say lose the YJ grille :puke: go to a 5.3 iron block motor with a car intake turned around where the filter is inside the passenger compartment. 4l60/80e with manual valve body.

As for the cage, axles, suspension design, I think you nailed it.

What's wrong with the YJ grille?
I was going to do a TJ grille, but I figured out that the YJ grille would be easier to model.

I will make another motor, this one was just an old one I modeled ages ago.

About building it; I can not really afford it right now, I got access to tools and such, but I'm too poor to buy stuff laughing1 . Though I'm looking for a small 4x4 car (sammi/vitara) to have some fun in.
They're dirt cheap where I live.

I dunno, just never been a YJ fan. I like the other skins available better. That was just my opinion. I think that design with FJ grille, man that would look bad ass

Also, Comanche tails? Being on the corner, I see them not lasting very long.. Go with some type of LED on the back

Josh40601 said:
I dunno, just never been a YJ fan. I like the other skins available better. That was just my opinion. I think that design with FJ grille, man that would look bad ass

I'll try and fit a FJ front to see what it looks like.

Josh40601 said:
Also, Comanche tails? Being on the corner, I see them not lasting very long.. Go with some type of LED on the back

They're just "stickers" I thought about putting some kind of LED lightbar with brakelights etc. on the B-pilar

Josh40601 said:
I know you didn't make the game, but designing the vehicles can't be that easy

I've spent a fair amount of time looking trough build threads on here and pirate to see how people have solved the issues I encounter while designing.
And not to mention the scaling of various parts, I spend lots of time looking for the actual dimensions of the parts I model.

The ability to put your 3D models in the game isn't isn't the only thing that makes this simulator interesting, you actually have to design the structural chassis as well, and it's always a nice challenge to make everything work like it does in real life as much as possible.
The structural chassis consists of dots wich you have to connect to each other with lines to make a rigid construction.

Here's an image of such a structural construction:

NB-2.png

It sure does look like a mess, but every "dot" has it's own purpose. Combining different weights for each dot and different strenghts and force needed to break/permanently deform the lines makes it a really flexible simulator capable of simulating the crumple zones in a car or setting up a realistic weight distribution.
Bending and even breaking a link is possible.

I always try to make everything move like it would do in real life. The steering linkage, brakediscs, anti rollbars and so on.

Here are the ARB's of a buggy I designed ages ago but never completely finished:
screenshot_499.png

The shocks, ARB's, steering linkages and more on Tim Cameron's old Nasty girl buggy I made ages ago and never finished as well:
screenshot_299.png

And if you are interested, here's a picture of that red buggy, it's totally over kill on the brakes I know laughing1
Not to mention the shitty headers and the drivetrain being slapped together inproperly :dunno: .

11meatball4.png

jprider said:
What software do you use?

I use AC3D, 3dsmax is too expensive and blender just sucks.

For editing the structure I use notepad++ and a special made program called RoREditor.

I worked a bit more on the axles and steering, added some texturing and I decided to make a custom high steering setup with a single ended hydro.

I figured something was missing on top of the steering arms, so I simply pasted a logo on there:

YJBuggy17.png

After a while I found out it were the bolts that bolt on the high steer arm that I was missing :woot: .

YJBuggy18.png

I still need to lenghten the arms because when I steer it right now the bar that connects left to right hits the diffcover laughing1 .

New:
-brakes (brembo with 14" discs)
-rims (still lacks bolts etc.)
-engine (6.0 vortec)
-minor fixes (had to make the engine fit)

YJBuggy21.png

YJBuggy22.png

Elliott said:
Can I ask how old you are and where you learned this ? That's some fine work

Sure, I'm 18, and I learned this 3d program by myself. There isn't much documentation on this program compared to solidworks (or anything else from autodesk). The only thing you get is a bunch of tips that are shown randomly when you start up ac3d, so it was a lot of trial and error.

Josh40601 said:
I just got chub...

laughing1