• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

what kind if aluminum for a skid plate

lay

NOT FOR SALE
Well after a few rides the uw what ever the hell skid plate needs to be replaced that **** aint tough at all! So it time to upgrade.. merry Christmas from my ole lady. So i need to know the kind 7075 or 6061 what is everyone making them out of???

Re: Re: Re: what kind if aluminum for a skid plate

lay said:
Well after a few rides the uw what ever the hell skid plate needs to be replaced that **** aint tough at all! So it time to upgrade.. merry Christmas from my ole lady. So i need to know the kind 7075 or 6061 what is everyone making them out of???
either will work, 6061 can be welded if cracked

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Re: Re: Re: what kind if aluminum for a skid plate

mdo817 said:
either will work, 6061 can be welded if cracked

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Why do you say 7075 cant be welded?

If I remember correctly 7075 is heat treated and welding destroys the heat treating affect on the aluminum, but somebody correct me if I wrong please

6061, bolted in place then skinned with UMHW.

You are right 7075-T6 isnt a weldable alloy as its already been heat treated. If you can find some 7075-O (un-heatreated) you could weld it, but I've never been able to find it here in Texas.

InDaShop said:
You are right 7075-T6 isnt a weldable alloy as its already been heat treated. If you can find some 7075-O (un-heatreated) you could weld it, but I've never been able to find it here in Texas.

This but it can be welded with the proper pre heat and post heat applied.

6061 will be fine for a skid.

Just use 6061 and make sure you have proper bracing under it and you will be good to beat on it, the thicker the better at least 1/4" if not 1/2"

I called metal supermarkets in Birmingham for Lay, waiting on the call back for a price, the can shear whatever size you need.

Def go 1/2". That's what's on mine and its got some pretty good gouges in it already. 1/4" would be trashed.

When you get the price on 6061 you"ll prolly decide to go with a piece of 1/8" alum and a piece of 1/2" UMHW .It works great :****:

lay said:

What thickness of UW what the hell skid plate was you using??? Mine seems to be holding up :dunno:

Idk how thick it is hell jimmy put it under it. But it aint tough enough for me. Ill measure it tomorrow

lay said:
Well that's why mine sucks its only 1/2" thick
Mine was 3/4" and it held well, but the hit that wadded yours up I'm pretty sure it would have anything up, look at the bent tubing above it! :****: