• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The KRACKEN IFS/IRS buggy build

Lickliter21

I used to own the buggy called RELENTLESS.

When I sold Relentless buggy, I was going the the same route as everyone else. 2" axles and rockwell sized joints huge engine blah blah blah....... It didnt turn out that way.
Talked to Proformance out of Australia one night and he talked about the portal hubs, after talking with him is when i decided on the IFS. I though if IFS is good IRS has to be better. In hind sight probably not.
I'll go into that later. On to the build!

I knew I wanted rear engine and a flat belly. We set everything on the table and started bending tube.

Went to North Carolina and picked up 5 Hmmwv hubs. 2 gear style that are reverse rotation. Then a quick call to Sunfire Offroad and the Currie F9 housings was on their way.

Housing where set at 114" for the wheel base and the buggy began to take shape.

Next was figuring out the A-Arms. They went through many changes and ended up with hmmwv 300m lower ball joints and 1.25 hiem on the uppers. Rear used uniball on the lower and 1.25 hiems on the uppers

Drivetrain is mounted on a cradle for say and drops out the bottom of the buggy.

starting to come together

course it had to have a name. After much debate THE KRACKEN was born

Interior was next on the list. The engine is pretty much in the passenger compartment, We wanted it to be as safe as possible from fire and fluid sprays. Witch I find out later I'm glad i did lol.

Hmmwv wheels and 43" stickie tires

On to the panels. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel

roof was way to much fun.......

time to take it apart and finish few welds and paint

12" King 2.5 IBP shocks good for 24" of wheel travel. 8" down and 16" of compression with safe CV angles. Belly 6" off the ground at full bump. Ride height of 21"

So pretty

First time outside. Decided to take it to the offroad expo in Louisville. Richie and I had a Horsepower Heroes booth we wanted to put something in.

The RTI trailer was on hand so we thought we'd try our luck. Best I remember it scored a 670

After show and tell it was time for some go!!!

Done a little shock tuning and spring changes we headed for DTOR for some seat time. This is where i saw the IRS was a disadvantage. Trailing arm set up with straight axle been much better.

Climbed the obstacle but it had some consequences........

Started over and rebuilt the upper A-arms stronger. Took it out the farm for some quick testing. The 25K bounty hill was fast approaching and we wanted to be ready.... We didn't make it in the KRACKEN
Tracked the fire down to an O ring on the injector. It was on fire for about 20 seconds before i realized it. Now I was super glad we sealed the passenger compartment from the engine. Had a 5lbs extinguisher and a 2.5 extinguisher on bored and wasn't near enough. I now have two 5 lbs on bored. Mainly burnt wiring and hoses nothing major was hurt.

The KRACKEN is back together and doing good. Had several small issues that are annoying and come with new build and specially an IFS/IRS rock bouncer. It's been a fun build and with a little more suspension tuning its really gong to do well. The ride is unbelievably smooth over some super rough terrain. eats up some huge bumps. Gotta learn to drive it still, used to hitting a bump and the front end lifting wheres this buggy just glides over. Time will tell how well it does so far I love it and cant wait for race season to start.

Cant forget my buddy Richie. He helped on the build and in the boring parts.......

Cool Buggy. Glad to see no injuries from the fire. Also glad to see you encouraged instead of giving up. Keep tuning and hitting it a little harder. :dblthumb:

Thanks for posting this! Such a cool build. You made it look badass too which i always think is important. :****: Hope you are going to make it to Moonlight still. Id love to see it in action.

Re:

Very sweet. Have you had any issues with the fuel cell hanging low out back like that? Or the tubing in the nose hurting approach?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing..I had a engine fire on my rig..lasted about 20 seconds...ended up replacing the whole harness...it sucked but had to be done. Rig looks good.

Re:

paradisepwoffrd said:
Very sweet. Have you had any issues with the fuel cell hanging low out back like that? Or the tubing in the nose hurting approach?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

With the fuel cell I have. Mainly on DTORs manmade obstacle. It acted like a wheelie bar and would turn the buggy witch ever way that tire was biting more. There's plans in the works to raise it up higher. Been plenty of other problems to take care of first lol.

nhl_bullitt said:
Thanks for posting this! Such a cool build. You made it look badass too which i always think is important. :****: Hope you are going to make it to Moonlight still. Id love to see it in action.

Oh yes it will be there. It's sitting in the shop setting on kill......lol

Elliott said:
Why do you not like the independent rear?

It's broke and bent more parts than anything I've ever seen. The rear upper and lowers are now built from 2x2 .25 wall tubing. If this doesn't hold up gonna have to go to a straight axle. I'll find out at moonlight. It's doing well around here but it takes a race to see for sure.

Huge thumbsup for going a different route on this build. That's what keeps this hobby interesting!

I have no first hand knowledge to base this off of, but I was wondering if it wouldn't "work" better with a firmer suspension setup. Maybe you've changed it since the last videos I saw from DTOR, but it just seemed to have a bunch of "unnecessary" squat and dive. Again...I don't know what you're looking for so this is more like digging for information than anything.

Thanks and keep it up!

very cool build. way to not give up and continue to push forward. hope to see ya on the trails sometime :dblthumb:

I agree with Clemson. Looks like the front really wants to unload on that man made obstacle. Maybe stand the front shocks up, and lose some preload.
Looks badass in the rough chop, I think you have plenty to give up in that respect to apply to the vertical ledge aspect.
You're probly right about the straight axle rear being better, but I hope you don't give up on the irs. Just cause I like seeing development.
Awesome job on the build! :dblthumb:

I was hoping to see a build thread on this, thank you! I think it's awesome that you did it.

clemsonjeep said:
Huge thumbsup for going a different route on this build. That's what keeps this hobby interesting!

I have no first hand knowledge to base this off of, but I was wondering if it wouldn't "work" better with a firmer suspension setup. Maybe you've changed it since the last videos I saw from DTOR, but it just seemed to have a bunch of "unnecessary" squat and dive. Again...I don't know what you're looking for so this is more like digging for information than anything.

Thanks and keep it up!

It was very soft at DTOR. That was the first real time it had been drove. Since then it's had some shock work done and a spring change. It seams to do a lot better now. The bump steer in the rear was horrible also. That's all been straightened out too. It's been a trade off of getting it perfect or take it riding to see what needs to change. Mostly I'd get it close and take it out and see what would break next. Spent way to much time getting it just right to go out and break it and have to start over again. I think it's pretty solid now. I'll find out this weekend lol

Just out of curiosity, where did you start when learning about IFS / IRS geometry?

patooyee said:
Just out of curiosity, where did you start when learning about IFS / IRS geometry?

Google lol. I took what little info I could find from here and there, added it all together. Talked with a few people in the know and a great guy in New Zealand with a similar setup.
Oh yeah a huge pile of scap metal out back lol

Elliott said:
Have you studied on doing a trailing arm setup on the rear with the irs?

I have. I'm still trying to figure what would be strong enough with what I've already leaned about the rear of this thing. The torque the geared hubs put out is insane.

https://youtu.be/hZL_xL9mQ-o

Need to slow the rebound down still. Getting there slowly but surly. :driving: