• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Uhaul Box Truck Toterhome...or maybe a School Bus

TBItoy

Opinions? Anyone have/had one? Used one?

I sold my 07 2500HD Duramax, and have my trailer for sale also.

I only used my Duramax for crawler hauling, and had only driven it a couple thousand miles the past 2-3 years. I don't have a regular need for a heavy-towing capable truck besides 4wheeling.

I'm considering picking up one of the later model 26' U-Haul trucks. Most I'm looking at are 2000 GMC with a 7.4 Vortec/ Allison AT545 combo. Direct from Uhaul they are $6-7000

I've looked at several build threads, but they were all the old late 80s Internationals with 7.3 IDI diesels and 5spd manuals... Those can be had for $2-3000 but are usually in need of repairs.

From what I've found, fuel mileage isn't that different from the old diesels vs newer gas BBC. 8-10mpg.... which is what my previous 6.0 Vortec 05 2500HD got pulling one crawler...

Any reason this would be a terrible idea?

Re: Uhaul Box Truck Toterhome

No reason at all, been thinking about this myself. And if you do it, try to get one with a damaged box. You can knock A LOT off the price, and I can get the parts cheap and help you fix it.

I posted a pic of mine in the redneck toy hauler thread. I have a 1990 IH chassis. Yes they are older, but for a 1990 model it was in better shape than a newer gas GM chassis I looked at. Contrary to what people think, Uhaul maintenance is very particular, I used to employ a ex-Uhaul mechanic.

I'm going to be swapping the 7.3/5 speed for a Cummins/Allison combo. Then I'll add the things I need to keep the wife happy....A/C and heat, a shower, a portable toilet, and a microwave.

And keep in mind that a 26' Uhaul only has about 22ft of floor length, the 26' measurement is the moms attic included. Still, I can get my 800 Rzr and my Ultra4 buggy inside for now. I'll have about 7ish ft of floor space for the living quarters plus moms attic, which fits a twin mattress perfect.

Re:

My reason for looking at the 2000 EFI Gas/auto ones was that I have zero interest in a drivetrain swap or project concerning the actual truck. My garage isn't big enough for that anyway.

Just add the bare minimum to make it an RV (haven't found exactly what that is yet??). Lights, a side door, and some vents would be fine with me.

I've done maintenance on a bunch of the early-mid 90s Bluebird school bus bodied GM chassis so I'm windowat familiar with them. Medium duty trucks are much simpler than light duty trucks for the most part.

All the pirate guys love the old 7.3. It's awful on a long drive though, 3200 rpm at 70mph. I'd say the gassers are probably wound pretty high too at highway speeds, though the engine should be quieter. The wind noise is loud but not terrible. I'm going to insulate the cab with something, and I'd say that will help a bunch as there's really nothing there now.

The RV part, well I want to avoid adding a bunch of tanks, so I'm going to only run a fresh water tank. The toilet will be the self contained portable type. The shower and sink if I have one will drain into one of those transfer tanks on wheels I can set up under it when I get where I'm going.

Kinda doing the same thing. I have a 97' f700 with a Cummins and a 6 spd. I'm gonna put a box on it and install Windows, side door, heat and air, some beds, a table, electric hook ups and a work bench. Nothing too fancy but comfortable. May even put a wedge bed on it to haul the buggy or just buy another trailer?

Buddy of mine tried this several years ago bought two of the old weak super slow 7.3's! talk about wont pull a greasy string out of a cats ass! He ended up selling the rear diffs and maybe a few more parts then scraped the rest. Luckily he never made it to building the flatbed but did put a receiver on the back,after pulling a vehicle from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham and back he decided to abandon ship! 70mph max and wouldn't maintain speed even on small hills! Also the seats are awful no way you wouldn't have back problems after a long road trip in one!

al1tonyota said:
Buddy of mine tried this several years ago bought two of the old weak super slow 7.3's! talk about wont pull a greasy string out of a cats ass! He ended up selling the rear diffs and maybe a few more parts then scraped the rest. Luckily he never made it to building the flatbed but did put a receiver on the back,after pulling a vehicle from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham and back he decided to abandon ship! 70mph max and wouldn't maintain speed even on small hills! Also the seats are awful no way you wouldn't have back problems after a long road trip in one!

I'd have to disagree a bit, that bench seat in mine is actually very comfortable. So much so I've all but thrown out my initial plans of air ride seats. And to prove that point the air ride seats would cost me $0.00.....

They are slow yes, but they will pull anything you can stuff inside them. While I wouldn't want to, I've seen guys on pirate claiming to gross over 26k and make long trips to the hammers with 7.3 IDI Uhauls. Maybe your friend just got a bad one, or one that a previous owner had screwed with?

Not to derail but I happen to have one fer sail. If op wants I'll post info.

95 ish
top kick
3116 cat
Allison automagic
19.5 rims
New tires and brakes
Air hitch
Loading ramp

Has living quarters the first 7 feet with side door
Folding steps
Shower and hot water heater
Two bunks
$5500

c90f4ef6cab11e492d693e04a52a4aba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig_c said:
I'd have to disagree a bit, that bench seat in mine is actually very comfortable. So much so I've all but thrown out my initial plans of air ride seats. And to prove that point the air ride seats would cost me $0.00.....

They are slow yes, but they will pull anything you can stuff inside them. While I wouldn't want to, I've seen guys on pirate claiming to gross over 26k and make long trips to the hammers with 7.3 IDI Uhauls. Maybe your friend just got a bad one, or one that a previous owner had screwed with?
More power to ya buddy! :dblthumb: your probably one of those people that sit straight up in the seatin your truck to right? I prefer the seat leaned back a little past 90*

Not trying to screw Ed out of a sale here but I would do some research on that 3116 Cat if I was you Nick...

al1tonyota said:

I bought one after the good report threads on pirate.
It pulled fine. 72mph with a trailer and rig....72mph empty....65 on Birmingham hills. Flat footed whole way.

Mine blew a head gasket and thats why I abandoned it. Only paid $1300? for it and wasnt worth fixing.
I bought the non running one for $600? took off good parts and then scrapped the rest.

Adams a hater, but I still think it would have been a cool $2k tow rig that could haul 2-3 rigs.

MoparMan said:
Not trying to screw Ed out of a sale here but I would do some research on that 3116 Cat if I was you Nick...

Nick I would strongly suggest you research anything before you spend your money on something.

MoparMan said:

**** moves,did somebody call for some **** moves? Really though that should've been left in a private message. just my opinion.

It don't hurt my feelings. Im just throwing it out there. Every tuck and motor you can find something wrong with ( even dodges ). Only issues that I'm aware of are fuel losing prime which is fixed by a $45 12v pump and lack of hp.
She cruises at 65 and was getting retardedly good fuel mileage compared to my gas box trucks.