• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

'03 E250 trans prob

03 is the split year for ford f/e 250/350's so it depends on what trans you have (4r100 or 5r110w). does it have all the forward gears ok? it could be something in the valve body or something stripped out inside. the later model (5r110w) has a common problem with reverse, ford designed the reverse circuit to have about 450psi and put an extremely weak snap ring in it so the snap ring pops out and you lose reverse. when the snap ring pops out sometimes it will break the case, is it leaking by the back of the case? i work at a trans shop in snohomish and i can help you out if you want to. you can call me at (360) 568-0220 ask for Jaden

then my guess is you have the 5r110w and that snap ring popped out but i would have to see it to make sure, although the 5r110w takes mercon sp not V so if you do have that trans then they filled it with the wrong fluid. give me a call and we can set something up for you to swing by. we dont charge anything to check stuff out so you dont have to worry about that. i'll check it out and give you a call with my diagnosis and then we go from there with whatever you want to do

Last edited:
Just re-read your intro question yeah small blocks came with 4r70w's. I just saw e-350 and I was assuming that it was a big block or a diesel being a 350, most of them are (that I see anyways) guess I should have payed more attention to what I was reading :looser:. No reverse in a 4r70w most common things that I see when those have no reverse is the seal for the reverse servo gets hard and cracks or the band strut breaks one other problem that i see is the bearing between the reverse drum and forward drum goes out and lodges itself in the reverse piston and breaks it, most of the time those lose od or 3rd gear due to either the snap ring breaking in the od servo or the direct clutch pack burning up.

Last edited: