• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1 ton k5 tcase debate

Sdime44

Ahiyt guys i have a k5 that im building. It has dana 60 and 14 bolt axles. With 456 gears. And 350/700r4/208 i was wondering whats the best rount to go with the tcase and drive shafts. I really wana do a double tcase setup but iv never messed with one. So my question is what would b the best rout to go? This is a mud rig with abt a ft of lift and 44s.

I have a built K5 on 42s w/4:56. Just the 205 wasn't enough low gear for my 350/th400. Went to a 203 doubler and really like the 4:1 in the rocks and 2:1 for easy trails.

I just saw you said its a mud rig. you don't need a doubler for the mud, you need to leave the tcase alone and put money into that motor.

mrdrinksalil said:
I just saw you said its a mud rig. you don't need a doubler for the mud, you need to leave the tcase alone and put money into that motor.

That was exactly my thinking as well. Not much need in gear reduction in the mud when it's all about getting from point A to point B the fastest in my opinion.

Let me refrase, not a mud race truck. The trails were i ride are alot of tight mud crawling. so i was thinking of sticking with a stock motor for reliability. And a heavy tcase setup....

if they are just muddy trails with offcamber, ruts and holes then you really dont need the doubler. If you plan on doing any serious rock trails then yes, doubler.

Lookn at a turbo 400 with 203/300 doubler. Would this b a good setup? Im going for reliability. Plus the ability to do alot more then ill probably ever do. But i dnt want weak pionts. Im just wondering if this setup will b a lil long making it have alot of angle on the rear driveshaft u joint at te back of the tcase? I guess im shooting for a high torq mud/trail truck with out the cost and unreliability u find in built motors

Sdime44 said:
Lookn at a turbo 400 with 203/300 doubler. Would this b a good setup? Im going for reliability. Plus the ability to do alot more then ill probably ever do. But i dnt want weak pionts. Im just wondering if this setup will b a lil long making it have alot of angle on the rear driveshaft u joint at te back of the tcase? I guess im shooting for a high torq mud/trail truck with out the cost and unreliability u find in built motors

Dana 300 is a TINY tcase.

I would never run one in a full size truck with a v8 and 44s.. They are meant for 4cyl and 6cyl

Happy u told we that. Well guess ill b looking for a 203/205? What other setup options do i have on a doubler setup?

Sdime44 said:
Happy u told we that. Well guess ill b looking for a 203/205? What other setup options do i have on a doubler setup?

price goes way up on all other options. You can find 203/205 doublers already built for $1000-1250 if you look around a bit

Sdime44 said:

For the size of your rig and 44's; I would run the 203/205 or go with a single 3.8 Atlas.

You could do one of the aftermarket gearboxes that use planetary gears. Klune, NWF Black Box, ORD Magnum (newest and strongest player on the block).

TH400-203 combos are not that common, SO,

For the money, pick up a TH350/203 combo (they are a dime a dozen and came in thousands of 1/2 ton trucks in the 70s and 80s),

Call He-Man Machine and get a 203-205 doubler.

Find a 32 spline Chevy 205 to go on the back .... If you can't , then you have another option.

Find a regular old 10 spline or 27 spline Chevy 205 and Ford NP205 (which are both easy to find), get the Chevy case machined (at He-Man) for the bigger 31 spline Ford input, and swap the 32 spline Ford front output into the Chevy case.

OR if you can get ahold of a NP241 for your 700r4, you could get a 241-205 doubler plate...

Many options for Chevy stuff! thumb.gif

Forget that run a 241 crawl box/205 combo..... way more gear combos and more gear reduction

I'll hook you up with triple cable shifters as well

Sdime44 said:
What would a 241 come out of and would it mate up with the 32 spline 205

241 came in 88-up chevys. both passenger side and driver side drop (which wouldn't matter since you'd be using it as a doubler.

I had an 89 square body K5 blazer with a 700r4/241 combo. and a 91 3500 dually with a th400/241 combo, and a 93 dually with a NV4500/241 combo.

It won't matter what it is to "mate up" with a 32 spline 205, the doubler kit replaced the tailshaft in the 241.

507947d1268432491-241-205-doubler-img00075.jpg

Ahhh. Thx for the info! Think iv got a better understanding of my options. Now to c what i can find!

Latest posts