• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14 Bolt Chromoly debate

I have a shaved 14 bolt sitting in the shop. Just chop it and weld the plate on. What front shafts are you going to run? That is usually the weak link.

I have a shaved 14 bolt sitting in the shop. Just chop it and weld the plate on. What front shafts are you going to run? That is usually the weak link.

I havnt gotten that far yet. Ill start looking into it as soon as i finish this 14b. Ill end up posting a thread about the 60 when i start tearing into it.

Any one happen to know where i could get my hands on a cheap spool for this 14b?

I posted a WTB thread in the classified section but i figured id ask here too.

Any one happen to know where i could get my hands on a cheap spool for this 14b?

I posted a WTB thread in the classified section but i figured id ask here too.

Like it's been said, in your shop with a welder. Run the stock shafts until you prove you can break them.

Anything breaks. Looking at that vid, after that tire fell into that hole, just about anything was doomed if you had power.

Ya im building this 14b for the rear and i have a King Pin Dana 60 for the front ill start building as soon as the 14b is done.

I suppose i will be starting a thread here pretty soon about the shave kit. Id be looking for some advice and tips on how not to **** it up.

I am in the same boat. I have a bunch of **** on order. The 14B and D60 (also king pin) won't get love until I have the Atlas and associated tunnel mods squared away. So I'll be looking for your thread on the shave.

Anything breaks. Looking at that vid, after that tire fell into that hole, just about anything was doomed if you had power.

Agreed. If not a shaft then something else. Better a shaft than a t-case.

I'm working with Tommybuiltfab on my 15 bolt shave right now. His kit does not include machining of the ring gear. Instead, he machines a groove in the shave plate to accommodate.

Yeah, 14bolt, shave, gears and ARB. This **** isn't cheap.

I'm working with Tommybuiltfab on my 15 bolt shave right now. His kit does not include machining of the ring gear. Instead, he machines a groove in the shave plate to accommodate.

Ballistic's shave kit also has that groove but ya...a we know they shave the gears. So does the kit your are building give 2" of clearance too?

I am in the same boat. I have a bunch of **** on order. The 14B and D60 (also king pin) won't get love until I have the Atlas and associated tunnel mods squared away. So I'll be looking for your thread on the shave.

Agreed. If not a shaft then something else. Better a shaft than a t-case.

Ya, ill definitely be starting a thread for when its time to do the shave kit. Should be in the next week or two.

Ballistic's shave kit also has that groove but ya...a we know they shave the gears. So does the kit your are building give 2" of clearance too?

It's a little more than 1 1/2 inch of clearance. But that really isn't what you are looking for. Getting rid of the giant shovel on the bottom of the diff is fantastic.

TMR Customs also has a shave kit if you don't feel like dealing with Ballistic's pooptacular customer service. I got lucky and bought the diff cover and kit at the swap meet.

It's a little more than 1 1/2 inch of clearance. But that really isn't what you are looking for. Getting rid of the giant shovel on the bottom of the diff is fantastic.

All I did was take a Sawzall to the lip then smooth it out with a flapper wheel on my grinder. I had to tap the lip for a couple 1/4 20 bolts on either side of the shaved lower bolt but that was it. I wasn't too worried about the ground clearance just losing the shovel since I was running 44's :redneck:

Got a link?

**** ya. getting the 14b was the cheap/easy part.

I've been running my dana 70, 35 spline with absolutely no issues and I beat on it.

I have broke a 14bolt axle but was on a suburban on 44s...haven't broke one yet on my cj5 with a turbo sbc and 44s and it gets beat non stop and has broke a ring gear and twisted and bent axle tubes