• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14 bolt front build thread and tech help

Caliper flex translates to poor performance.

I'm not 100% it would make it feel spongy. Mine don't feel spongy and I 100% know my calipers flex.

I will have some caliper data to share very soon.

Caliper flex translates to poor performance.

I'm not 100% it would make it feel spongy. Mine don't feel spongy and I 100% know my calipers flex.

I will have some caliper data to share very soon.

Awesome! Thanks Wizzo.

How much are they flexing? I can see the flex effecting stopping.

I look forward to Wizzo's response. I imagine that that may be difficult to answer. He would likely need a pressure gauge plumbed into his brake line and a dial indicator mounted on the knuckle and touching the body of the caliper. Then he could record the amount of caliper deflection at each incremental increase in brake line pressure.

How much are they flexing? I can see the flex effecting stopping.

I don't know exactly how much. Enough you can see it with your eyes?

When the caliper distorts, you loose contact between the pad and the rotor. This loss of contact results in less braking/ stopping/ holding power.

McMinn - I'd be willing to bet that over time you will see uneven wear on your brake pads with your wilwood calipers. I know I do.

Again, I want to point out that the wilwood parts work, I run them and have pretty good brakes I feel like. The wilwood parts have been "the standard" for a long time. I'm only bringing to light a new option. I'm waiting on some data before I share more info on the Mark Williams brake components.

I don't know exactly how much. Enough you can see it with your eyes?

When the caliper distorts, you loose contact between the pad and the rotor. This loss of contact results in less braking/ stopping/ holding power.

McMinn - I'd be willing to bet that over time you will see uneven wear on your brake pads with your wilwood calipers. I know I do.

Again, I want to point out that the wilwood parts work, I run them and have pretty good brakes I feel like. The wilwood parts have been "the standard" for a long time. I'm only bringing to light a new option. I'm waiting on some data before I share more info on the Mark Williams brake components.

Did you ever look more into the Toyota calipers that were discussed a few (many) years ago? Like the late model 4Runner/Tundra calipers?

I know there is a lot less weight savings compared to a high end aluminum caliper, but they have factory applications that are for wider (up to ~1.2") and bigger (~14") rotors now.

Did you ever look more into the Toyota calipers that were discussed a few (many) years ago? Like the late model 4Runner/Tundra calipers?

I know there is a lot less weight savings compared to a high end aluminum caliper, but they have factory applications that are for wider (up to ~1.2") and bigger (~14") rotors now.

No. Simply b/c I don't have the time to figure out what caliper will work with what rotor, etc. Maybe one day.