• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14 bolt rear steer

Metchosin joe

In the process of building a rear steer 14 bolt.
Are guys centring the pinion and running different length inners or offsetting it to run equal length.

equal sounds smart for getting shafts made but I worry about u joint clearance being offset. 1410 at the tcase and 1350 at the pinion. I have the centre of the diff on a tight limit strap because I was bending drive shaft splines.

Attachments

• 49F4EC39-DFA0-4E05-89BD-2D1AE13B6EEA.jpeg
    49F4EC39-DFA0-4E05-89BD-2D1AE13B6EEA.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 419
I would center the pinion to be in line the the t-case output. That would be the proper setup. The shafts will be custom any way you go. Get good chromo 1550 shafts or RCVs.
My vote for a 14 bolt rear steer would be 40 spline and a 1410 or 1480 yoke. You know yo want to have fun with it.

There's a couple builds on here
Center the pinion , rcv axles. I retubed mine and machined the inner seal area with rcvs

Both (centered or offset) are doable.
I'd do 1550/40sp stuff to not worry about breakage and go centered pinion if I were you. That's what I'm building currently, with RCV big bells for peace of mind.

As for seals, if you retube, you can totally machine a seal housing in the new tubes.
So far, I've had good luck with the press in seals from Seals-It. Easier to install for a DIY guy. Pretty cheap too IMO. I use 2 pairs, one at the diff and one at the outside edge of tubes, to prevent outside **** from getting inside the tubes.

1410 yokes if possible, just because the price difference is minimal and they're stronger. BKOR has super high angle stuff that will take like 40 degrees of angle.
You could rework your suspension to make the pinion angle change less crazy to keep your driveline angles through travel in check too

I'm running kingpin stuff so I'll be running 1480 stuff until funds allow for rcv's.
stock 14 bolt tubes so I was leaning towards the crane adjuster sleeve seals.

Rig is around 5000 lb 5.3 sm465, black box 205.
60, 14 bolt, 42 treps
I wheel the west coast of Canada it's slippery moss covered rocks and tight trees. Lots of full throttle assaults.
Shooting for as budget as possible for now.
have solid knuckles already probably run a single ended ram to get it rolling sooner. Yukon's or what ever until rcv's are in the budget

Rig is around 5000 lb 5.3 sm465, black box 205.
60, 14 bolt, 42 treps
I wheel the west coast of Canada it's slippery moss covered rocks and tight trees. Lots of full throttle assaults.
Shooting for as budget as possible for now.
have solid knuckles already probably run a single ended ram to get it rolling sooner. Yukon's or what ever until rcv's are in the budget
Well that sounds real similar to our wheeling down in Tennessee/Alabama etc.

2 at the diff and 2 at the knuckles?
I was thinking about getting something machines out to hold a d60 seal that fits in the adjuster sleeve. Just like the crane Sean's butThat's much cheaper.

I don't have machining tools handy. These Seals-it did the trick. I'm sure you can figure out an alternative solution, I'm just sharing what I did.

Cost seemed fair to me.

I got bored 1 day and machined these ,they press into the factory adjuster and weld in. it takes the kingpin dana 60 inner axle seals. If you need them,you can have em for 25.00 plus shipping..
Here's a pic of my 14 bolt rear steer

Attachments

• 20210128_195957.jpg
    20210128_195957.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 316
  • 20210128_200007.jpg
    20210128_200007.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 334
  • 20210128_200055.jpg
    20210128_200055.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 343
Just to keep this going for something to talk about
What size single ended ram do you guys recommend.
Rig has a p pump. Trail gear 8" double ended ram up front
I was going to just do a 2x8 single out back but I'm thinking a 2.5x8 will give me more power. Will my single p pump keep up? I know the single pump will only run the front or back one at a time. Will the 2.5 be noticeably slower?

Any one seen a dual p pump setup on an ls? I know they are bulky but I have a few spares and factory truck brackets I could slap together

Latest posts