• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14 bolt vs Sterling 10.5

Weezul

So I'm working on a set of tons for my Jeep TJ. I bought a pair of Superduty axles that were for sale on here. I also have a 14 bolt.

I like the 8x6.5 bolt pattern compared to the 8x170 Ford pattern.

Besides that, which one would be better?

I've helped a friend build a 14 bolt so I'm fairly familiar with their pros and cons. I don't know much about the 10.5 though. It's from a 2007 if that matters.

IMO.

If your 14 bolt is not a late model with ribbed housing and stock disc brakes, then just run the Sterling.

I don't see a reason to "like" a bolt pattern ?

IMO.

If your 14 bolt is not a late model with ribbed housing and stock disc brakes, then just run the Sterling.

I don't see a reason to "like" a bolt pattern ?
The 14 bolt is a late model ribbed housing but no disc brakes. My friends already on tons are running 8x6.5 bolt pattern so if I needed to borrow a wheel/tire I'd have options.

noone else mentioned that the pinion length on the 14bolt is wayyyyyyy shorter than a sterling, so if you are puttin it a short wheelbase tj that would help with your drive shaft lengths in the end. Also the 14bolt has a pinion bearing support to help with deflection etc, but you Probably already knew this is you are familiar. Redrill the the super duty 60 hubs to 8x6.5? or get new hubs with that bolt pattern and run the 14 bolt? why not

No doubt that a 14 bolt is a strong axle. But after dealing with custom axles and having to get unit bearings bored and drilled to a standard pattern. It just gets old. I say run the matching pair.
Unless you plan on 14 bolt front as well and big stickies. Then the 14 bolt gets the vote.

What kind of mods are you planning? Weld it and run it? Or a full build up with gears, locker, new brakes etc?

The overall condition of the axle would probably determine which one I'd run...

Your 14 bolt is probably a bit narrower than the SD60 (if it's an 05+) so you could just throw some adapter spacers on

Id tend to lean 14 bolt if you're gonna build up a high zoot axle... But I kinda suspect if that was the case, you would already have a plan for that.

Plans are gears and lockers for both front/rear. They'll all get new brakes (pretty sure the Superduty they came out of caught fire). Both of the rear axles are in similar condition.

trying to stay as budget friendly as you can when building tons and putting them under a Jeep.

No doubt that a 14 bolt is a strong axle. But after dealing with custom axles and having to get unit bearings bored and drilled to a standard pattern. It just gets old. I say run the matching pair.
Unless you plan on 14 bolt front as well and big stickies. Then the 14 bolt gets the vote.
No 14 bolt front for me. I can't recall the company but I've seen new Ford unit bearings drilled for the 8x6.5 but if they went out of business or stopped doing it then I'd have to find a place to have it done.

No 14 bolt front for me. I can't recall the company but I've seen new Ford unit bearings drilled for the 8x6.5 but if they went out of business or stopped doing it then I'd have to find a place to have it done.

ive got a SD60 and 14 bolt pair that had mismatched lug patterns and wheels (acquired them that way from a build part out; it's not how I'd have done it but I couldn't beat the price).

ive been looking at the options and you can get 8 on 6.5 to 8 on 170 adapters for Around $50 shipped.

all that said, I'd run the 8 on 170 stock pattern axle set and carry an adapter for your buddy's spare.

meh, run the sterling, matching parts, shafts, brakes, etc are available in just about any junkyard in america. Better ground clearance, runs flange yokes already, etc. I have a 14 bolt cause it was stock in my truck. If I was running a SD60, no way I would make all of it backwards compatible for 8x6.5

Latest posts