• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sold/Expired 1978 FJ40 Landcruiser **new price**

muchado

I am posting this for sale for my dad. There are some details I forget but he should be able to answer questions on it.

For sale is a 1978 Landcruiser FJ 40 with the 2F inline 6 and 4-speed manual tranny sitting on 37” Toyo Mud Country tires and 15” aluminum wheels. The cruiser has been stretched to I’m thinking 105 but I would need to confirm.

The Front axle is a FJ60 (wider) with mini-truck hi-steer. We swapped the axle out instead of converting the stock FJ40 axle to mini truck knuckles because the brakes were better on the FJ60, wider track width (I think 3” or so) and the right stud pattern for the high-steer on the knuckles. My dad replaced seales and repack’d bearings when he put this under the cruiser. The front suspension has a shackle reversal w/ new crossmember and sitting on hybrid home pack’d landcruiser mix of springs. The springs are over the axle, they come factory spring under axle... Needs shocks installed up front but we do have shocks that come with the rig and could mount if needed.

Rear axle has a lock-rite locker and is otherwise stock. He went and replaced the drum pads and wheel cylinders out back. Rear driveshaft is a BEEFY J.E. Reel unit with flanges to adapt to the stock Toyota and 1 ton joints (I forget 1350 or 1410). Rear suspension was stretched out 10.5 inches using a BlueTorch Fabworks stretch kit. The springs used are XJ springs, they seem to work well.

I mentioned the steering earlier---he used a FJ60(or 80â€"another detail I forget) steering box, FJ60 steering pump, custom hydraulic lines. I am not sure why but it seems that there’s no pressure so maybe pump needs rebuilt? Have been so busy neither of us have looked into it. Truck steers and drives, the geometry improvement alone has made it a much better driver even without power than the factory manual steering that went through like 8 different joints to get to the knuckles…

We built a really sweet cage for it, ties into the frame in 6 points. Looks awesome and is beefy. Everything on the cage is squareâ€"my dad is much more meticulous than I am, that’s why it takes so darn long to do anything! Rig has Corbeau seats that are COMFY and 5 point harnesses. Comes with a 37” spare if needed---if not, my brother could use it since he’s 37’s on Toyota lug.

Motor has a DUI (davis unified ignition) distributor on it---the old factory one was seized into place and you couldn’t adjust timing. The new dist. Is a much better design and uses common GM parts. Everything else on motor is stock, BTF battery holder, Optima battery.

As for the body, it is definitely not mint. There is some bondo on the rear corners and the holes under the seats were not patched right---we cannot take credit for this “bodywork”. Doesn’t totally ruin the rig but if you are looking for a fully restored cruiser that you can eat off of this isn’t it. Engine bay is very clean surprisingly enough---and the frame has no rust. This was a TX rig and my dad bought it, picked it up and worked out the bailing wire left from the farm-boy that had it before.
I think he’s lost interest since he’s only taken it out maybe 3 times in the past 2 years and rest of the time tinkering with it in the garage. It’s close to a point where I’d just leave it and go wheelin’/drive to work/etc---all I’d do is mount the shocks and figure out the steering pump issue.

He’s asking $7500 but will entertain offers. See pics below--some are old since it hasn't been out recently except around town.

DSC01138.jpg

DSC00143-1.jpg

IMG_5812.jpg

IMG_4820.jpg

DSC00392.jpg

DSC00410.jpg

Rob -- 785-840-5260

Re: 1978 FJ40 Landcruiser

Whoa Daddy that thing is cool. Does it have a top still that fits/seals it off from the elements?

Bones said:
Whoa Daddy that thing is cool. Does it have a top still that fits/seals it off from the elements?

Top fits but there's a pinch in one spot at the windshield so may need some attention to really seal 100%, also screw holes on hardtop from prev. redneck mounting a ghetto KC light bar up top ::)

If it were me, I'd find a soft-top. Hard top is a pain in the butt---but I'd say the same about my brother's hardtop on his 85 4Runner laughing1

That just seems like a decent buy to me. The top fits, nothing is 100% on those old rigs.

Sell the duke and plasma or the Vitty? crap

Bones said:
That just seems like a decent buy to me. The top fits, nothing is 100% on those old rigs.

Sell the duke and plasma or the Vitty? crap

I think it's pretty fair and I know he'll go down a little too. He wants a DD jeep now.

this a great fj for the price all the hard stuff is done . who wants a pretty trail /street rig anyway :dunno: cant believe hes selling it . i love this thing i wish i had the cash . its allways done great when i have been out with you guys

Latest posts