• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1980 Toyota Build

motoluver

So i'm finally starting a build-up thread for my 1980. Started the build a couple weeks ago. So first off it started stock and here is a list of what is planned.

Dual cases
3" trail gear lift springs with 5" shackles up front
built up toyota rears with 6" shackles in the back
smitty built XRC10000 lb winch
39.5 Iroks
Locked front and rear
Bobbed bed
On board Air (York)
and a bunch of other random stuff

Here is the truck shortly after buying it running and driving for $800

The stock buckets were to thick so I couldnt slide them back far enough for my long legs, so I put a set of Honda Del Sol seats in which are low and thin so they gave me about 4 inchs of more room!

I ripped out the 20R and 4spd tranny and then rebuilt a 22R and put that in with a 5spd tranny.

Then I assembled the dual cases with the dual case adapter that I purchased through Advanced Adapters. Here is the mess I made

And here is the final product

Getting the new tranny and T-cases bolted in.

The 5spd tranny is longer then the 4spd so I had to relocate the crossmember.

Here are the plates welded in for the crossmember to bolt to before gussets were added

With the gussets

Next I got the axles and stock springs torn off,

Then I picked up a set of new used 39.5 Iroks on wheels and had to see how they looked next to the truck

Then I got the front spring hanger mounted and the axle underneath with the trailgear 3" lift springs.

Interior shot

Will update as I get more done on the truck...

Last edited:
I wasnt planning on having as much lift as i'm getting out of this. Wanted to do more cutting to keep the weight lower. I'm mainly building it for the snow though so it should get the job done :D

well havnt updated much but got a new rattle can job. I threw it together and and have had it up on some local trails. Still waiting on the money so I can buy some longfields then I have everything to rebuild the front axle and lock up the front and rear.

Some pictures from wheelin on the Green Gate run located out of Milton-Freewater OR.

[img=http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/9704/1022181us0.jpg]

And some pictures of the most recent trip down to Baker city OR ORV park with a couple buddies from here in Walla Walla WA.

Loading up

My buddies 85 budget build (not him driving) and him in his buggy.

My turn.....

Unfortunatly you never get many pictures of yourself when your the one with the camera:mad:

We got a late start so it turned into night wheeling after a couple hours...
Loading up to go...

Looks good man. Thanks for posting those pictures of our wheeling trip. I can't wait until the snow is flying. We need to get your front end locked up so you can actually keep up. LOL I know I know longfields need to go in first.

I have to say this truck really does wheel really good for how inexpensive his build it. Keep it up man! :redneck:

Just wanted to add, My buddie down at Dye's Custom Fabrication did all the crutial welds, (the ones that look good lol) If they are crappy they are the ones I did lol.

Yeah or around 4.5". With the lift shackles and the new crossmember and 3" springs I'd say around 4+" of lift. The truck rides and drives really nice. We had a bent frame to work with but it after some careful measuring it came out square and drives straight down the road.

i'm guessing more like 5-6" of lift. I originially intended to keep it down closer to 4" of lift and do alot more cutting but I got a little more out of it then expected lol. I'm just waiting for some snow and some money for longfields!

So I got my onboard air all hooked up, also hooked up a gauge in the cab to monitor the pressure. Still working on getting a pressure shut off switch hooked in though. I took the core out of one of my 39.5's an let all the air out and then put the core in and pumped it from 0 15 pounds in around 45 seconds. damn fast and the pump was maintaining 120-130psi! and you can easily rev up the engine and be gaining pressure while pumping tires. I'm really stoked with how fast it pumps. Anyways I'll get some pics of it up here when I get my camera back from my friend.