• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1980 Toyota Lift Issue

83YotaDlx

i just put about a 4 inch lift in my 1980 toyota and the front drive line wont drop the angle to the front axle it just stops about 3 inches from the flange so my question is what driveline do i need to use in order to get 4x4 again

i just put about a 4 inch lift in my 1980 toyota and the front drive line wont drop the angle to the front axle it just stops about 3 inches from the flange so my question is what driveline do i need to use in order to get 4x4 again

You shouldnt need a different driveline you should just need 2 get urs extended.

The joints don't have enough play in them to connect the drive line the flanges don't line up the shaft is just long enough but won't line up I was going to build a square tubing drive shaft

You're probably gonna have to go to an 84-85 front shaft, and drill the axle and tcase flanges out to 10mm...Or you can use a later IFS front shaft, and modify it for higher working angles...still may have to have either option lengthened...kinda in a roundaboot way goin' thru this myself on a rig.:awesomework:

if your gonna do a square tube read the Pirate FAQ and look at how its been done before to save yourself some hassel, and use the later model deeper IFS yokes, they'll flex for miles

Use a rear shaft up front that has been shortened with no CV on it.

Get rid of the 79-83 shaft. Sell it to a sami guy for $50.

On a lifted toy the front pinion does not point up at the Tcase flange they way in needs to for a CV shaft to be needed. It will like a non CV shaft much better. They are cheap too.

So who makes non. Cv front drive shafts? Or do I have to find a rear and have it shortened I'm confused:eeek:

find a rear and have it shortened.

The bonus is you can buy a rear and pay for a cut and weld to shorten it all for less than you could extend/retube the front you have now.

Chop shop is right as far as cost and easy. If you put dual cases in the truck you we have a longer driveline and less angle. But you will have to lengthen the driveline anyway.

The other way is to disassemble the front axle cut the welds off the outter cups and rotate them to spin the pionion angle up reweld them back on making sure they are square and reassemble the front axle again..

ID go with chop shops way unless you are very skilled and have lots of time and money

well this could be my issue..... why on earth would the PO weld the shaft like this.......

020710144205.jpg

020710144215.jpg

only reason somebody would do that is if the center ball in the H-yoke was busted, mine broke a long time ago and when it turned the whole shaft just flopped around

What the....:eeek: See B-rad, told ya they don't have a CV!!!:haha:

Yeah, you can redrill the flanges, and run a later front...but as brad said, depends on how much longer the later shaft is...

the 84-85 front drive shaft is about2-3 inches longer than a first gen. the tube on the first gens is only like and inch long:haha: