• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1982-2RZ swap and more

Motor is IN!

The motor is in, weeeeehaaaa. Fuel lines connected, steering column and shaft done, new firewall plate for steering shaft, ECM wiring into cab, blah, blah, blah. look at the pics,

001-8.jpg

003-9.jpg

004-6.jpg

005-7.jpg

006-3.jpg

2" out of the stock Taco down pipe and a little rotated toward the motor and presto, exhaust. Now I need to get the exhaust fromt there back connected, should be fairly straight forward since I don't have to do a crossover and the gas tank is out of the way. Pretty much like the 22R exhaust just on the opposite side.
008-5.jpg

Slow week, so far. But the cool thing was about a year ago I helped a freind part out a couple cars, a Caddy w/Northstar and an Olds Aurora with the battery under the back seat, sooooo I snagged the 6ft long battery cable out of it. Now this week while wandering around the shop in a daze I spotted a batery cable in a pile of stuff(I may a bit of a horder) anyway it was perfect length to reach from the battery to the 2RZ fuse box. I bought a junction stud to connect everything to, the pics show it all connected and the junction stud I used and its routing.
001-10.jpg

002-9.jpg

More on the exhaust, custom billet CNC machined O2 bung, and some interior work, Taco gauge cluster and a new cup holder for the passenger, stupid vent kept falling out anyway.
001-11.jpg

003-11.jpg

004-8.jpg

Start and stop. :redneck: Yeah I used the key to start it but no turning off with the key. I did find the issue though, must be the only two plugs on a Tacoam harness that can be swapped. :mad: There are two grey plugs on the inside fuse block that can be interchanged and when you do that all sorts of weird electrical things happen. Anyway problem solved. I have start and stop with the key now.:D Finish turn signals and tail lights, mount a couple small things, get exhaust buttoned up and go drive!!!!!!!!!!:awesomework:

Start and stop. :redneck: Yeah I used the key to start it but no turning off with the key. I did find the issue though, must be the only two plugs on a Tacoam harness that can be swapped. :mad: There are two grey plugs on the inside fuse block that can be interchanged and when you do that all sorts of weird electrical things happen. Anyway problem solved. I have start and stop with the key now.:D Finish turn signals and tail lights, mount a couple small things, get exhaust buttoned up and go drive!!!!!!!!!!:awesomework:

Looks like you have things handled. Lets see this baby get done :awesomework:

Thanks for the compliments guys.
OK, I'm driving this this tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Believe it or not the tail light had the same connector on them as the Tacoma harness(Bolt Right Up). got the dash installed, speedo connected using the Tacoma speedo cable bit had to route it a little different to get it to reach.
I did find the turn signals don't work without the Hazard light switch(I gues the guy I got the harness from snagged it and I didn't notice, my bad) so I hot wired the harness so the turn signals work. Now a little exhaust work and a few other things and I'm cruising the malls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
003-13.jpg

005-9.jpg

007-5.jpg

nice build. i went from 22r to 3rz. its a great swap. i saw the 2rz turbo badge. a turbo in the future?

Thanks and Maybe????:redneck:
I drove it, I drove it! What a difference in power! I can actually cruise at 60 now, easily. And around town it actually feels like I have an engine.:awesomework:

Drove it more, still loving it!!! Defintely more power and man does this little motor rev. Yeeeehaaaaa!
Needed to get the front turn signals done, hit a tree this summer when I was over there in that Naches area and took out the left front lense/housing so I needed something for that, the solution a $6.20 light from NAPA and a piece of 18ga bent for a bracket.
003-14.jpg
004-10.jpg

Then I needed to connect the trans TV cable to the Throttle Body, I had an exta 22re throttle body laying around that had the right cable cam, so a little cutting, grinding I had that done. Then I fabbed up a bracket to hold the cable on the intake. Looks stock huh?
001-13.jpg

And finally a interior/cockpit poser shot. GPS mount all blacked out looking better that bare aluminum.
006-5.jpg

Back on track, new to me seats to be installed soon, and went down to the Juniper Forest for a test session. Climbed a few sand hills roamed around some had an all around good time. And MAN! do I like this new motor, no complaints at all. On a side note I do need to add another leaf to the RUF's just a little too soft, OK way too soft. Anyway all in all a good day. Some pics of the trip. Had fun will have to return.
Looks at home here huh? Yeah that's frost, chilly!!!!
004-11.jpg
009-7.jpg

And the Juniper Forest................beyond that fence is Wilderness....
013-2.jpg

Latest posts