• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1986 runner lowering

skipnrocks

4 runner options. My buddy got a good deal on a 86 runner built witho duals built. It's not bad but sits way too tall. I want to drop it 6 inches. The rear is 3 linked so that's easy but the front is leafs. How can I drop it with leafs that much?

Pictures of the front end to help us get started?

The 87 I have now was a sky scraper when the PO first solid axled it but some time spent mixing and matching leafs for a custom pack and different shackles and its sits just fine now.

Assuming you're running standard steering, move the axle forward by drilling the perches and/or RUFs, french your hangers, move the steering box up/forward and notch the frame for pitman arm/drag link clearance. With flat leaf springs that's pretty much on the bumps. Past that like he said its links and hydro.

Just curious you say since the rear is linked you can just lower it with no worries? Most link setups are or should be designed around a set ride hight!
As far as the front what leaves are on it pictures would help a lot!

Mine's about as low as you can get with an IFS frame on leafs. I run modified stock front leafs with the center pin re-drilled 2" forward on the main and military wrap leafs. All lower leafs are not drilled, just slid up to the new hole. The spring perch is drilled 1 1/4". This puts the axle 3 1/4" forward from stock to get the tires away from the cab. I have a TG front hanger kit, but I shortened the shackles as much as I could. I run a home built "Y" arm for steering made out of stock arms instead of high steer in order to get a little more clearance on the frame for up travel. This will clear 39.5" TSLs without rubbing the cab corners on my 4runner.

This is a low buck, low tech setup. It looks like I'm just being cheap, but that's not the case . I've ran nearly every leaf setup you can think on a Toyota, and I like this better than anything I've ran. I've ran this setup on multiple rigs for at least six years now with zero issues. I've never had a single problem with the steering or spring setup. Back when I ran high steer the studs would come loose or break all the time. I've never even had a nut to be loose on the stock arm setup.

Nothing fancy, but it has worked well for me. :dblthumb:

100_2067-1.jpg

100_2070-1.jpg

100_2071-1.jpg

al1tonyota said:
Just curious you say since the rear is linked you can just lower it with no worries? Most link setups are or should be designed around a set ride hight!
As far as the front what leaves are on it pictures would help a lot!

I have done several 3 and 4 link set ups. It won't be hard to adjust that for the change and ride height. I will try to get some pictures up tonight or tomorrow. I really wasn't sure how much I could drop the front with the leaves.

Latest posts