• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1993 Ford Taurus Radiator Fan Motor Question

Just got done with a prototype shroud to fit the Volvo fans for a friend. I will be running that with my 5.3. Real simple setup.

RustyC said:
Bump for new info. I was able to check the actual current at my fan using a clamp on amp meter. I am running a two speed Volvo fan and a full shroud that can bee seen above. Radiator has 10 fins per inch. This is a junkyard fan with an unknow history.
Fan off and switched to low speed = 16.5 amps @ 13.5 vdc.
Fan off and switched to high speed = 67 amps @ 13.5 vdc.
Fan running at low speed the switched to high speed = 27 amps @ 13.5 vdc.
019.jpg

018.jpg

015-1.jpg

013.jpg

017.jpg

Good info, thank you.

No problem. I finally got a clamp on meter to test with, because I was always wondering.

If you're doing the 2 speed fan, go to a pull-a-part yard and get one of the Volvo fan relays. It is rated for the fan amp draw and makes it super easy to control the fan speeds in one compact package. Here is a write up on them https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/taurus-fan-volvo-2-speed-relay-how-214815/
If you put 12v to both the low and high speed at the same time you will kill the fan motor (don't ask how I know). The Volvo relay will allow you input both signals at the same time but will only send one to the fan at a time. This worked perfectly on my LT1 using the PCM fan outputs to control the fan speeds.

so i just installed this weekend and i set my fan off on temps a little bit apart, because i was paranoid they would try to send both signals together. but if i am reading this correct there is no way for that to happen. i an adjust my computer and fine tune this even better.

thaks