• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1996 Tacoma 2wd to 4wd solid axle swap

hackster

I sold my last toyota for a few reasons. The biggest reason being that I wanted something with more power and I really wanted a new project.

This fell into my lap a week before thanksgiving. Onto the hunt for some parts, and a bit different build than most.

My main goal for this was to keep it as much toyota as I could as well as not break the bank. I really miss the winter wheeling and want something to wheel in the snow.

Onto the story....

I started getting parts together for this swap two weeks ago and everything really came together this week.

Parts for the build so far

FJ60 front axle
w56 tranny
single passenger drop transfercase with 4.7's
FJ60 front steer box
FJ60 steering shaft
Minitruck rear springs for the front
U bolt flip kit front and rear
TG minitruck front crossmember
shackle mounts
FROR firewall plate
TG knuckle ball reinforcemtn kit

I pulled the truck in at noon on thursday and other than a great friend Chris coming over to lend a hand on Saturday, this is all my efforts from the last four days.

Only bad thing, I scratched the crap out of my eye today with a random plasma spark getting behing my safety glasses........oh and I ran out of parts!!! I certainly did not think that was going to happen.

Here are some photos from the last four days.

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

I built these out of 3/16 plate since I didnt think the 2wd frame was as close to the 4wd frame as It turned out to be. I did not include a box mount because the 60 box will have four holes through the frame and nothing above it. It is a flat mount box.

IMG_0359.jpg

SInce this was a 2wd truck the engine mounts are integrated into the front suspension crossmember. I ended up leaving just a short amount of the crossmember, and capping the bottom of the crossmember and tying it back into the frame. I think this will make for a bombproof engine mount down the road.

IMG_0356.jpg

The eye bolts are just for mock up, they were all I had that was the right size and long enough in the bolt bin. I welded the front crossmember on all the way around the front of the frame, and then I added on the 3x1 box tube to the top and welded all the way around that as well. Then I caped the ends of it. Needless to say I dont think this is going anywhere.

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

Mocking up the leafs with the shackel mounts that I put together. I had to inboard the shackle mounts off the frame with a 29" center dimension. THe tacoma frame gets really wide after the front of the truck. These shackle mounts have a lot of weld and gusset to them, I am still wondering if I am going to have problems with them down the road a ways. If I do I have a little room for more plate and boxing.

IMG_0360.jpg

Kristi took the camera on Saturday, so we missed out on most of the front axle work. I cut off all the brackets, cleaned the entire housing and installed new spring pads three times to get the castor and pinion angle correct. Installed the knuckle gussets, shock mounts etc.

Here will get us caught up. I had to get creative with the FJ60 front housing and the mini truck perch width. I ended up bending one of the ubolts to match the ange of the axle since it was literally right next to the third member.

IMG_0366.jpg

T100 pan and pickup installed. I decided to use the stock dipstick and just cut it down to work with the pan instead of plugging the hole and knocking out the plug from the block.

IMG_0372.jpg

Frame plates are on, shackles are built and tacked into place, shackle angle is checked and I am damn close to getting a front axle under this thing.

IMG_0363.jpg

I installed this 1 1/4" dom tube just behind the radiator for some extra support for the front of the frame. These were not designed to have a steering box or leaf springs up front so every little bit helps.

IMG_0374.jpg

All painted up and ready to go.

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

FInally some payof today!! I was able to get the axle into its final resting place after finally burning in the shackle mounts and more tube to reinforce them.

Got the frontend hung under the rig and started to look at steering. Keep in mind that this is only day four of the build and I took several hours off for eating turkey with the family.

The steering worked out fantastic....so far. I have a bit of a fear that the pitman arm I have is goingg to run into the leaf spring and the tie rod might hit the pitman arm bolt. I will find out both of those as soon as I get my steering. I honestly did not expect to get this far on this project this weekend so I was not planning on running into this so soon.

I snagged a steering shaft from the same rig that I got the box from and it literally just bolted on like it was made for this project. Lots of slip and with the Front Range firewall plate, it was pretty slick. Since I am converting a 2wd with rack and pinion, I had two fittings that went to the rack and lots of length in the lines. Unbelievably, I was able to shorten up the return hose and use that fitting on the box. I was also able to use the supply line with a little bit of work with a bender I was able to bend the hard line and make them both look like a factory part with only a little bit of extra effort.

tacomaswap002.jpg

tacomaswap003.jpg

tacomaswap004.jpg

tacomaswap001.jpg

tacomaswap005.jpg

Well that finished up my weekend. Hopefully I will be getting a knuckle rebuild kit, some shocks, upgraded axles, and some brake parts to get me rollinng this thing this week.

I still need to get wheels and tires for this and an IFS Rearend.

Enjoy the pics and Ill try to get some more up as I make progress.

Thanks

Sean

Very cool. What engine is in that? Also converting to a 4wd, why did you decide to go with a fj front as opposed to a mini truck front?

It has the 2.4 or 2RZ in it. It was a blast to drive around as a 2wd truck, it was actually really fast.

I decided to use the FJ60 front for a couple of reasons. It is 3" wider than a minitruck housing, if has a giant ring gear that should hold up better to a beating ( The pinion is the same spline count as the minitruck though). It was readily available for me to use in the truck. I have some friends that run a landcruiser shop here in Portland.

Not to mention the Diff looks huge under the truck.....

Sean

Hey BodyDamage,

I sent you a pm. Any chance that I could try out that flat pitman arm?

Thanks

Sean

Hey BodyDamage,
I sent you a pm. Any chance that I could try out that flat pitman arm?

Thanks

Sean
Wrong username...there is actually a BodyDamage on here, and he (body damge) ain't her!!!:;:redneck:
Cool build though!:awesomework:

Well, today went pretty well.

Started the day by figuring out what I was going to do for the brake lines on the frontend, the spring bolts and picking up the rear axle from out in the middle of nowhere.

Picked up all the parts for the day and got back home to get some work done.

Here are a few photos of how the finished front end turned out.

tacomaswap008.jpg

tacomaswap014.jpg

tacomaswap009.jpg

tacomaswap011.jpg

I am still waiting for a flat pitman arm, other than the the front end is pretty much done. The bumpstops are temporary and I will get something made up to work for the long term. The steering box, shock hoops and steering all clear really well and I am pretty happy with it.

Here was the rear as it started this morning. 5 lug 7.5" rearend, sprung over.

tacomaswap016.jpg

I picked up a v6 rear from a 92 toyota truck. Tore it down this afternoon to take a look and weld it up....when I got it apart, I realized that I cant weld the 6 cylinder diff and that it was very tight, I think it may have been rebuilt recently, so I cleaned it up and got it ready to go back in. Installed new axle seals, cut off all the unused brackets, installed new brake lines to convert to drivers drop brake line, painted everything up nice and got it ready to go in the truck.

tacomaswap019.jpg

Yarded the rear end out. The damn ebrake cable was the hardest part of this whole task....

To be continued

Swapped over the spring pin and bolted in the new axle with a new ubolt flip kit.

tacomaswap029.jpg

Set it down on the leafs to find out that it was really really low. I had some longer shackles from an old truck, that I threw on with a little bit of work. It raised the rear some, but I think I will need to add at least another leaf to the rear pack to get it to sit closer to level.

tacomaswap034.jpg

Threw in a nice braided stainless hose for the rear to get rid of all of the stock rubbers.

tacomaswap036.jpg

My friend Chris was at it again to give me a ton of help. While I started on the tranny from below, he started up top. By the time I got back up there, he had gutted the entire interior. It definately helped out with getting the tranny out, and will be really nice for installing the new tranny t case setup.

Ended the night by cleaning the new transmission, and mating it up with the single 4.7 transfercase. Removed the w59 bellhousing from the 2wd tranny and bolted it up to the w56 transmission. I was very happy to get this part of the swap done. The tranny is ready to go back into the truck.

tacomaswap045.jpg

Tomorrow should be another god day of progress as long as this damn cold doesnt keep me inside.

Well, Sunday I made pretty good progress. I got the transmission and transfercase installed, cut the holes in the floor for the new shift and transfercase levers.

I had snagged a transfercase crossmember from my buddies at the cruiser shop that they werent using. It is a FROR style that mounts to the back of the t case. It was for a mini truck so I new it wasnt going to fit right in. SO I sectioned 3/4 of an inch from both sides to make it fit between the framerails but then it wasnt going to mount the case as high as I wanted it to so over to the bench again and I hacked off both sides and raised the mount up about three inches from the arms.

Mounted it to the back of the transfercase and jacked the cases up as high as I could without cutting out the floor.

Ended up with only an inch or so of the case hanging below the frame. I dont like how the transfercase just hangs below the frame all exposed though so I think I am going to build a skid plate that runs from frame rail to framerail.

I got pretty sick the last few days so I have made little progress. I went out for an hour or so last night and I got the carpet all trimmed up, cleaned and glued a section in where the old shifter was. I did some maintenance on the seat and fixed the gangster lean and got it all bolted back in.

I ordered the tripple drilled flanges for the transfercase on Monday as well as a flat pitman arm.

Brian at Driveline Tech has both my drivelines and I should have them back by the weekend.

Wheels and Tires are on order. Trail Ready only had two wheels so they are making the other two and shippin them out asap.

It will be ready to set on the ground as soon as the wheels and tires show up.

I am going to try and start on the bumper and sliders this weekend so that I can get this thing on the road soon.

Should have some good updated pictures this weekend.

Sean

A bit of progress this weekend.

TacomaSwap085.jpg

I got the exhaust all wrapped up. I ordered this little Magnaflow Cat in from my local parts shop. When it showed up it was the perfect size. I had to get a little creative with the flanges, but it turned out great.

I spent a little bit of time trying to figure out what I was going to do about the bump stops. All the trucks that I have built seem to always have the bumpstops be some scabbed on crap in the parking lot of a condo in Moab.

I made these removable so that I can change out both the bumpstops and alter the height on them pretty easily in case...ok when I need to. These bolt on to the u bolts and hit a pad that I welded on the bottom of the frame so that they will ive a good life.

TacomaSwap086.jpg

I picked up these awesome pieces of art from my buddy Brian at Driveline Tech. Luckily for me he is local here in portland and builds the best drivelines that I have ever run across. Long slip front CV rear.

Not much else to say about these, although they fit about as perfect as they possibly could.

TacomaSwap049.jpg

TacomaSwap052.jpg

Built up the sliders Saturday morning. Built these out of 2x3 .188 wall square tube. I have cut more than one set of tube sliders off previous rigs. When I have built these in the past they have held up fantastic.....I know most people want the look of toob, but these look clean and simple to me, kind of the theme of the build I was shooting for.

TacomaSwap080.jpg

TacomaSwap082.jpg

To be continued...

We also got the brakes bled, fixed a leak or two and I started on the front bumper.

Here a few shots of the bumper from yesterday. I ran out of shielding gas yesterday so I was only able to get some tacks on to hold **** together.

I finished up the bumper tonight and added some gussets to it and a little more beef to the tow hooks.

TacomaSwap076.jpg

TacomaSwap075.jpg

TacomaSwap077.jpg

TacomaSwap078.jpg

While I was at the welding shop, I picked up a new protectiv inner and outer lenses for the speedglass and some tune up parts for the welder and plasma....man it is nice to weld with new stuff. Not only could I see but the welder was game on tonight. I laid down some nice beads on the front bumper.

I have a short list of things to do on my window checklist. Fill the diffs with fluids, powersteering fluid, rebleed the brakes after the brake line repair.

I still need to pickup my new winch. However I am quickly needing my wheels.......I call and check on them daily. Tony and Matt have to be ready to tell me to go fly a kite, but they know that I will probably call and check on them again tomorrow. The tires showed up last week 37" Kevlars are pretty tall, they measured out at 36 1/2" not on rims, so I think they should look good on the truck.

I will try and get a couple more shots of the frontend, I got the frontend all trimmed up and painted before I hung the bumper and since I kind of ran out of stuff to do I spent some extra time on the little stuff. Removed the washer bottle cleaned up the wiring etc.

Sean

I updated this thread.....I really didnt think that anyone was paying attention to the thread on here, so I gave up a little bit on the updates.

I did hear from the Cruiser boys that the wheels that I thought were going to be here yesterday are not even built yet......Turns out that they had some issues with blanks and the new ones will not be done until probably sometime next week.....Maybe Mauler will take note of this and I could come pick them up this weekend if he finishes them up!!

The front bumper is actually finished up now and just waiting for a winch.

Sean

Well since the damn wheels are still on backorder with Trail ready, I did my best to stay busy with other stuff. I built a pretty sweet center console for my First Gen cummins on Friday and messed around with the dodge most of the day Saturday. Also got my broken canopy window replaced with some smoked lexan from Tap Plastics.

Well I just couldnt take it anymore and today around 10:30 I decided to just tear into the Tacoma some more......

The bed was just sitting there looking at me, all stock with a fast demise in its near future.

A few minutes and Voila.....thanks to my trust helper Chris, the bed was out of the way and I was back to cutting grinding and welding for the rest of the day.

While I love the typical flat bed that all of my buddies have on their trucks, I just needed to do something different. I am going to do something that is a bif of a hybrid. A little bit Dave Lund and a little bit Allpro and a lot of Hackster's ideas.

Here a a few photos of what I got accomplished in about 10 hours today.

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

Removing for hopefully the last time to weld up the x

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

I got the back of x all painted up and moved back in place after I took these.

I am not 100% sold on my design quite yet, I need to see what it looks like with the tube on for the fenders.

I ran out of tube with literally 2" left on one end of the main hoop. Gotta get some more 1 3/4 and 1 1/4 dom tomorrow so that I can finish it up Tuesday night.

Should have some more updates by then..........might even have some wheels by then if all goes well for me.

Sean

Well, I got some more tube after work and grabbed one of my new 37's so that I could get rolling on the rest of the flatbed. This is the second round of fenders, the first version was flat similar to the all pro but it was just all wrong. I added the kick down in the front and it looks much better to me.

The gas filler will be right in the junction between the fender bar and the downtube. I am thinking a little piece of plate welded in there with a nice filer door.

Does anyone know if I have to run the little vent line from the filler neck to the tank? If not I can get some of the race car fuel hose that is clear and have a much cleaner setup.

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

The last one is of the rear junction where the tube comes off the main frame for the fender bar. I think I am going to run some plate across the rear of the bed with some go fast holes in it to tie the two sides together.

I am trying to build this so I can still haul my KTM in it....so I am trying to think of that while building this.

Let me know your opinion of how the bed is turning out. Input is always appreciated.

Looking good! This is what i plan to do sometime next year. Same springs up front and a toy axle.:awesomework:

I'm a little concerned about your steering though. I'll be curious as to how well it turns, it looks like you might have a pretty big turning radius because of where the steering arm is compared to the pitman arm. Have you tried it out yet?

I am not really following you on the large turning radius.....

It steers lock to lock with ease, will steer farther when I pull the stops out too. I have seen a couple of other rigs setup with the same style setup and they have no problem.

If I run into any issues at all, I will lengthen the drag link so that I have a straight pitman arm again.

If you want to elaborate, I am happy to listen.

Sean

I am not really following you on the large turning radius.....

It steers lock to lock with ease, will steer farther when I pull the stops out too. I have seen a couple of other rigs setup with the same style setup and they have no problem.

If I run into any issues at all, I will lengthen the drag link so that I have a straight pitman arm again.

If you want to elaborate, I am happy to listen.

Sean

Oh, if you're hitting the steering stops then no worries! :awesomework: It just looks like because your pitman is so far in front of the tie rod that it'd limit your turning. But ya, if you're hitting the stops then good deal! :D I guess the picture makes it look worse than it is.