• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1996 Tacoma 2wd to 4wd solid axle swap

Yeah I thought that would be the case but I figured it wouldnt hurt to ask.

I got the bracket for the current filler built up and burned in last night....I am certainly not going to keep it though, I need something more race inspired than what I have on there now. Anyone got any suggestions? I have found a few that would work, but I dont seem to be searching well enough to get what I am really looking for.

Got the rest of the tubing pretty much buttoned up last night. Got the passenger side burned in and finished the last down tube and welded it all out. Added in a couple of braces from the fender bars back into the main frame and got those welded out as well.

I am ready for tabs and skins at this time. I need to get some taillights and get a tail light panel built and installed as well, but all in all I like how the bed is coming together.

Tonight is a no go too. Gotta do Christmas stuff with the family, but I hope to get a bit done tomorrow before I head to Seattle for the holidays.

Cheers!!:beer:

Sean

So I was able to get some work done on the truck before we headed up to Seattle for the holiday.

I finished up all of the tube work for the back and started on the panels for the "fenders". Five of the six were pretty easy, but the 6th panel that is on two planes and needs to fit around the filler neck was a total pain in the butt.

Paper templates were definately my friend with this one. I picked up tail lights, tabs and aluminum 090 and 125 for the bed......aluminum is not necessarily the cheapest route, but I really like the brushed aluminum look when the toob is painted and the contrast of the aluminum.

Onto the pics...

Passenger side without tabs or finish painting

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

Here is where I left it when we headed out for Seattle...lets just say I had a really hard time leaving being this close to finishing the bed.

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

Here is what was really a pain in the butt but I wanted it all to fit together well without a ton of clearance around the filler. I am really not happy with the filler or bracket. I think I am going to get a fancy one from Joes Racing but I can do that down the road with no problem.

IMG_0618.jpg

I am going to hack off a couple more inches of the frame since I cant stand how the frame sticks out farther than the bed....I hope that next week I will be finished up with the bed and maybe by then some wheels will show up. I am seriously doubting it, but I figure they have to show up some time right?:stirpot:

Sean

Last edited:
It's nice to see something other than the normal toyota buildup, your doing great work....keep it up:awesomework:

Happy Holidays bro!

Good looking build Sean. I am digging all the clean lines of the front bumper and bed. Are you going to have any storage out back or run a spare?

Thanks Alan... Its been too long since we have gotten together. Let me know when you get your new rig done and we'll get together for some wheelin.

Tom,

I am torn on the storage in the rear. The last truck I ran a storage box on the bed, but never really liked how utilitarian it looked. I think I am eventually going to make a trap door in the bed floor and put some storage underneath it. I really want to be able to haul my dirtbike and pedal bikes with this still, so well see if that happens.

Hows the buggy? I saw that you were doing some work to it recently, are you back on the trails with it yet?

Sean

The buggy is still in the garage. I hope to be done in the next few months. A trap door would be pretty cool and keep with the clean look.

Got home from Seattle with a few hours still left in the day so i headed out to the garage.

I really couldnt stand how the rear crossmember on the frame turned out so out with the plasma and 5 minutes later I was in fab mode building a new rear crossmember with some led taillights flush mounted in it. Got that welded on and began on the other side of the bed with the aluminum. Once I got that buttoned up, I made some more braces for the main bed area and got to work on building the main floor.

I used .125" 5052 aluminum and it is pretty stiff. I need to add just a bit more support to it on the outside edges, but other than that I am pretty happy with how the back turned out.

Finished up the night by getting the license plate temporarily mounted along with wiring up all the taillights as well as the lic plate light.

Here are a few pics of how the bed turned out. I plan to get the shocks on tomorrow night and hope to get a winch on and running this week.

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

I gotta get some mounts burned on this so I have some way to tie some crap down.

Sean

So I got my warn winch yesterday. Its a new old stock m9000. However it just did not fit in the bumper at all.

I had to add some plate onto the back of the tray, notch it out and cut some access holes in the bottom to get to the bolts. It ended up fitting quite nicely though and tucks in right below the grille without any cutting.

I also mounted the control pack in behind the grille with a tab right in front of the radiator. It is tucked back in there quite nicely and you access the remote plug through a 1" hole in the very bottom of the grille. Looks super inconspicuos.

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

Shortened up the exhaust and got it to come out right at the back of the rig. Between the leaf sprang and the frame. I had to clean it up and throw some clear on it, I couldnt live with the rust coated dirt. Also, I got the rear shocks all mounted up finally, I have about 5" of uptravel and the shocks are still under the bed floor. I am not into having a ramp champ and this should be just enough travel for the rear.

Wheels showed up today so Ill be picking them up tonight. I might even be able to roll this thing around for the first time in a month.

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

Sean

Thanks Alan... Its been too long since we have gotten together. Let me know when you get your new rig done and we'll get together for some wheelin.

Tom,

I am torn on the storage in the rear. The last truck I ran a storage box on the bed, but never really liked how utilitarian it looked. I think I am eventually going to make a trap door in the bed floor and put some storage underneath it. I really want to be able to haul my dirtbike and pedal bikes with this still, so well see if that happens.

Hows the buggy? I saw that you were doing some work to it recently, are you back on the trails with it yet?

Sean

ya its been a long while im starting my chassis next week so hopfully it dosent take too long. im hoping to have it done by 4th of july at the latest. the bed turned out rad!

Well, things went well.....

Onto the pics. New trail ready HD wheels with wide Rock Rings.

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

Aside from the wheels being a pain to mount with the deep flange, they are awesome. The offset was about perfect. I ended up with just the right width on the axle wheel tire combo and I cant wait to get it pulled out of the garage tomorrow.

Sean :D

IMG_0691.jpg

I know you probably have a plan already but how about a few more leaves in the rear pack? Also please get those wheels dirty, th:cool:e bling hurts me eyes

Any updates on this thing? How does it ride?

I was gonna ask if you ever had any issues with the pitman arm coming into contact with the springs before the bump stops were put on? Looks really close, nice and low though! :awesomework: