• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2 Piece Driveshaft Phasing/Alignment

zsavage81 said:
planning to run a 6" slip so I can collapse the shaft, then pull it apart to get it in there. Drive shaft man says i need a slip between the case and bearing. I really wish I'd looked on the internet more and made the carrier bearing unit itself removable. Totally shitty design by me, gonna be straight screwed if the bearing craps out as those are pressed in.
Did he mention why you needed a slip other than to remove the shaft? Are you running rubber motor and trans mounts?

c9f1fe9ebc25f018b11017c8eb6944ab.jpg

Go ahead and cut it off in the middle now.

Cut out 3/4" and weld in two 3/8 plates... Add 4 holes n 4 bolts... Viola removable...
Then make a spare bearing end up, ready to swap.

gottagofast said:
Go ahead and cut it off in the middle now.

Cut out 3/4" and weld in two 3/8 plates... Add 4 holes n 4 bolts... Viola removable...
Then make a spare bearing end up, ready to swap.
I was thinking maybe he could cut it off of the frame and add some angle. Through bolt it to the frame

Beerj said:
Did he mention why you needed a slip other than to remove the shaft? Are you running rubber motor and trans mounts?

Yea I'm not hard mounted, motor mounts and transmission cross-member are on poly mounts. So he said it had to have some slip in it to allow for the movement in the mounts. Took it to Tom at Carolina Driveline and he said no problem with the way it's mounted. He's making me a 2.5" cromo shaft 13" long with a slip in it between the TC and midship, and the shift from there to the axle. We'll see how it holds up. If it doesn't hold up I'll cut all of it out and start over on the mount and bearing so that it's removable.

Re:

Once you make it removable I bet you'll never have trouble with it. At least that seems to be my luck. If I make it permanent, chances are it'll have to come out. The easier it is to get it in and out the harder it seems to break it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk