• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2 stroke on the trails

4 stroke nicer on single track trails. You can let off gas and slow down. I hate the smell of 2 strokes. Just my 2 cents. Mark

I am a die hard 4 stroker but I have had a couple 2 strokes over the years... setup on a 2 stroke for trails is very important or you will have a lot of issues with keeping it running and starting... proper jetting, gearing, and flywheel weighting as well as suspension setup are all a factor in getting the bike setup for trails...

There are a couple really great 2 strokes on the market today that would be great but I would get into a dealer (go talk with several) about what type of riding you want to do and how the bike should be setup...

The best trail bike 2 stroke I have ever ridden was a KDX 220 with the big flywheel and then I took a spin on a ktm 300 xc I could get to like but I really like my ktm 530 exc (4stroke)...

I hate kick starting so I don't think I will ever get a bike without electric start... although I have been looking for a gasgas trials bike I am thinking i really want to get one...

If your kickng it more than twice, somethings wrong.

Once if warm, twice if cold to bring fuel in.

My 2 stroke is a hundred pounds lighter than most 4 stoke electric start bikes.

I do envy the way a 4 stroke sips fuel. I did have to finally give in a get a 4 stroke outboard for the fish killer tho! :redneck:

I did buy a mint DR this summer. Gotta say, Its easy to ride, but not as fun. Just my .02. :beer:

Last edited:

not sure what bikes you're comparing but most of the good 4 strokes on the market today are very comparable in weight my 530 is only 250# and the ktm 300xc 2 stroke is at 227# and they both have electric start... and the yz250 is around 220#...

yeah the DR is a heavy pig if its the road version...

If your kickng it more than twice, somethings wrong.

Once if warm, twice if cold to bring fuel in.

I do envy the way a 4 stroke sips fuel. I did have to finally give in a get a 4 stroke outboard for the fish killer tho! :redneck:

I did buy a mint DR this summer. Gotta say, Its easy to ride, but not as fun. Just my .02. :beer:

You have a 150 pound 2 stroke? I would love to know what it is so I could get one. The most common e-start bikes in the woods are KTM or Yamaha 225. All around 250 pounds. I had a ktm 300 which was the best woods bike I've owned, way better than 4 strokes but not street legal at the time so I got a 4 stroke.:mad:

I will clarify.

My Old two stroke that I ride in the woods is a 250R quad. Compared to todays 4 stroke electric start, reversing girly bikes, mines a hundy lighter.

When Im stuck down some **** hole hill shoot at the dunes, I can pick my bike up and toss it around. I do like to get into messes that may need a rope to get back to the top! :redneck:

I was just comparing the simplicity of my old simple bike to the new luxury girly stroker quads.

But yes, I offended some of you guys with the new blingtaniuem, got about 5 thousand moving parts riding kinda guys!

I like to ride a two stroke. Anyone that does can fix a chainsaw too. :D

Now that ORVs and GxGs are so easy to use it sure is bringing ALLOT of goobers to the woods and dunes.

i always love a good 2 v. 4 stroke debate:beer:
Ive always thought, if they put as much time, technology, and precious metals into a 2 cycle, 4 strokes wouldnt catch on. but they did. in bikes of all things. look at snowmobiles, e-tec 2 strokes raised the bar. technology taken from outboard boat motors.... forced the competition to all re-work their motors.
direct injection, no battery needed...

I will clarify.

My Old two stroke that I ride in the woods is a 250R quad. Compared to todays 4 stroke electric start, reversing girly bikes, mines a hundy lighter.

When Im stuck down some **** hole hill shoot at the dunes, I can pick my bike up and toss it around. I do like to get into messes that may need a rope to get back to the top! :redneck:

I was just comparing the simplicity of my old simple bike to the new luxury girly stroker quads.

But yes, I offended some of you guys with the new blingtaniuem, got about 5 thousand moving parts riding kinda guys!

I like to ride a two stroke. Anyone that does can fix a chainsaw too. :D

Now that ORVs and GxGs are so easy to use it sure is bringing ALLOT of goobers to the woods and dunes.

If i'm reading your quote correctly your talking about 4 wheelers while everyone else is speaking about 2 wheeled bikes. That said, new bikes are better in every way, the are faster, LIGHTER, easier to start, less fatiguing on so on. I appreciate old tech but not with my bike. Old bikes are just boat anchors compared to new tech. The only thing better about an old bike is the price but it's not worth it. I do agree that with the improvement of tech in 4x4, bikes, OHV that there are a lot of people in the woods that I'd rather not meet. I might be willing to ride an old bike if I could go back to the woods of my youth