• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2 Stroke vs. 4 Stroke

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
So what are your guys thoughts on Enduros?

I am going to go look at a '02 KLR 250 (4 stroke) in the morning, and then later at a '01 KTM 200 EXC (2 stroke).

I'm more leaning towards the KLR, because it's 4 stroke (it's what i grew up riding, quads, etc.)

What are your thoughts 2 stroke vs 4 stroke on trails and roads? I've always thought 4 strokes were better trail bikes than all out balls to the walls 2 strokes, plus you dont have to carry mix around.

I'd be using it on the road to work and around town and MAYBE for longer trips.... I hear of people doing it, I'm a bit skeptical though... ANYWAYS..... I guess I want to know more about the two from people who have ridden either or both styles in the same kinda setting i'm wanting to. I want to drag it to say naches and tootle around on trails or around camp to and from, stuff like that.:corn:

Last edited:
for trail riding, the 4stroke is gonna be better.

is the ktm oil injected? so there wouldnt be any fuel to mix anyway.

Last edited:
the ktm isnt street legal.
im not sure if it even can be made legal in wa. we have stupid laws..something about how the title is worded..or some ****. i cant remember for sure.
for trail riding, the 4stroke is gonna be better.

It's street legal, it's got a plate. :awesomework: Both are street lega,l licensed, tabbed...

And ya, you can't make a bike street legal anymore if it wasnt to begin with.

But ya, both are in fact street legal, otherwise i woudn;t be interested :awesomework:

yeh, i edited it...apparently it came both legal, and not...

Ya, I forgot to put that it's a KTM 200 EXC. Not sure if THAT's the difference between legal and not of something the buyer chose.... I know there are some bikes that you could do that with...:eeek:

As far as the KTM being oil-injected I have NO idea, I always thought 2 stroke = mixed gas....:eeek:

I've ridden quite a few of both, but mostly on trails.

That KLR250 will be fine for putt-putting around on either trails or streets. I wouldn't want to be on a highway with one unless it was deserted. It will do the speed limit, but you're a sitting duck - no weight = unstable; no power = inability to evade dangerous situations. On the trail, it's a fine bike to learn on, but it will never be fast, and you will outgrow its abilities in about 10 minutes.

On the trail, I LOVE the 200EXC. I rode Kawi KDXs for a long time, which are great all-around trail bikes. But when I rode the EXC, I just plain went faster. It has great balance and power. The biggest complaint I've heard about KTMs is the inability of some people to kickstart them. Never a problem for me, but I've got some weight to put behind it. If I get back into dirt bikes, it will most likely be a 200EXC. That said, it's probably 30-40 pounds lighter than the KLR, so it's not going to be a relaxing ride on the highway and you'd likely have to do some re-gearing to keep it in the power band at those speeds.

It is not oil-injected, but carrying a little bottle of oil isn't that big of a deal and it's not rocket science to figure out how much to put in when you've got the gas volume on the pump display right in front of you.

If you know how to ride a 2 stroke bike, nothing beats a KTM 2 stroke in the woods. I have raced 2 and 4 strokes on the track, and in the woods. I love the 2 stroke for aggresive trail riding. As with everyone, just my opinion. BUT for a mixed bike with road riding involved, I would pick the 4 stroke. THe KTM isnt oil injected, you will have to mix the fuel. The KTMs are sold without an "off road use only" verbage on the title, making it very easy to legally ride them on the street. There are MANY on craigslist that are setup for road riding, hell even I can even put the plate back on my XC-W :bananallama:

Last edited:
The KLR will be an under powered heavy pig compared to the EXC. Ride them both and you will feel the difference.

I ride a 4 stroke. my buddy rides a 2 stroke and wishes he bought a 4 stroke after riding mine. I have riddne his and I dont like it for places like tahuya and places with tight trails. The 4 stroke has better lower end torque and thats why I like it. I also geared mine down for trails but you wouldnt do that for the street.

I ride a 4 stroke. my buddy rides a 2 stroke and wishes he bought a 4 stroke after riding mine. I have riddne his and I dont like it for places like tahuya and places with tight trails. The 4 stroke has better lower end torque and thats why I like it. I also geared mine down for trails but you wouldnt do that for the street.

Simply saying 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke doesn't mean much anymore.

A KDX is a 2-stroke with more low-end torque than most 4-strokes. A CRF is a 4-stroke, but I still wouldn't want one for woods riding. There are too many dynamics to consider other than the combustion cycle. What does your buddy ride? Something intended for motocross - CR/YZ/KX? Of course it's going to suck on tight trails.

Simply saying 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke doesn't mean much anymore.

X2.

That KLR will be an underpowered POS. I inherited an 07 KLX250 and it was a total dog. Sold it after 3 months and picked up an RMZ 450. That KTM 200 is widely considered to be one of the best trail bikes ever made.

I've ridden quite a few of both, but mostly on trails.

That KLR250 will be fine for putt-putting around on either trails or streets. I wouldn't want to be on a highway with one unless it was deserted. It will do the speed limit, but you're a sitting duck - no weight = unstable; no power = inability to evade dangerous situations. On the trail, it's a fine bike to learn on, but it will never be fast, and you will outgrow its abilities in about 10 minutes.

On the trail, I LOVE the 200EXC. I rode Kawi KDXs for a long time, which are great all-around trail bikes. But when I rode the EXC, I just plain went faster. It has great balance and power. The biggest complaint I've heard about KTMs is the inability of some people to kickstart them. Never a problem for me, but I've got some weight to put behind it. If I get back into dirt bikes, it will most likely be a 200EXC. That said, it's probably 30-40 pounds lighter than the KLR, so it's not going to be a relaxing ride on the highway and you'd likely have to do some re-gearing to keep it in the power band at those speeds.

It is not oil-injected, but carrying a little bottle of oil isn't that big of a deal and it's not rocket science to figure out how much to put in when you've got the gas volume on the pump display right in front of you.

Ok, this is good stuff to know guys! Thanks! I like the KTM too, which is my dilema, i'd mainly be using it once i got to places, as in truck it to reiter, ride around, truck it to naches, ride around. So it wouldnt see much road use, maybe to work and back to show it off....:redneck: I did notice it had twice the power, KLR = 28hp KTM=46hp :eeek:

ya, prolly not going to see any sand with the bike. Now i'm confused as to what i want to do! :mad::haha:

-I like the KLR for the fact it prolly will run/last longer than the 2 stroke without issues.
-Id be able ride the KLR easier on the road than the KTM.

-The KTM is faster, not that it'll matter THAT much in the twisties:redneck:.

HMMMMM...................
:eeek:

EDIT: I guess a good question I had was how are the 2 strokes for putting around slow on trails? Can they handle that ok? I always heard they needed to be going fast to get cooling? But I think the liquid cooling negates that huh?!

Last edited:
If 2 stroke then 250 or more.

If 4 stroke then 450 or more.

I own a 250 two stroke and a 400 4 stroke. The 250 will eat the 400, but the 400 is gravy in the woods.

All in all my girl rides the 4 stroke mostly cuz its easy like a girls bike. I ride the 2 stroke, well cuz its a mans bike.:cool:

Almost forgot, The two stroke will eat WAY, WAY, WAY more fuel than the 4 stroke.

Thats cuz it makes WAY, WAY, WAY, more power.:beer: