• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2 Stroke vs. 4 Stroke

EDIT: I guess a good question I had was how are the 2 strokes for putting around slow on trails? Can they handle that ok? I always heard they needed to be going fast to get cooling? But I think the liquid cooling negates that huh?!

for putting around slow on the trails, hands down, 4 stroke is the way to go. you have more control over the engine at lower RPMs.
2 stroke will run like a dog until you hit the power band, then your up and haul'n ass. 4 stroke you have more consistent power throughout the RPM range.

for putting around slow on the trails, hands down, 4 stroke is the way to go. you have more control over the engine at lower RPMs.
2 stroke will run like a dog until you hit the power band, then your up and haul'n ass. 4 stroke you have more consistent power throughout the RPM range.

Ya, now i just wonder, cus you see a lot of 2 stroke guys riding trails, granted it's fast, but what would it be to do it on the EXC?! I mean it's setup for the "enduro" stuff, so "slower" trails shouldnt be an issue, it's liquid cooled, and how much gas is used, is sort of relative to how much you pin it.... I like the look of the KTM more than the KLR. It's like a mild DirtBike. I was watching videos and it looks like it can tackle the trails just as good as the KLR can. with more suspension travel too, that's kinda nice. Plus, I trust FreeRide's opinion on bikes, I know he's ridden and researched them, hence my jealousy for his DRZ.:redneck:

a KTM EXC is a much different bike than your regular motocross 2 stroke. It does fine in tight technical sections and has tons of low end grunt

a KTM EXC is a much different bike than your regular motocross 2 stroke. It does fine in tight technical sections and has tons of low end grunt

Cool, that's the answer i was looking for? You'd prolly know gas mileage wise too. How long do you think a tank would last out running around in the woods? I've had a tank on my quad last 5-6+ hours one time, just running traisl around reiter on a TRX 125 quad....:corn:

4 stroke all the way!!! alot less maint = more fun less chance of break downs due to fowlin plugs and going through top ends. i ride a yz450f 4 stroke race bike in the trails and on the track it's the best for all the type of riding in washington mud, slipery root's, small downed tree's ECT ECT.......

PS you will not like the 2 stroke hassle of mixing gas everytime you wanna ride too......kinda a pain in the ass. liquid cooled 4 strokes RULE!!!!! :awesomework:

Everyone hung up on 4 stroke vs. 2 stroke is missing the boat. We're talking KLR vs. KTM. The KLR is one of the worst examples of a 4 stroke trailbike, and the KTM is one of the best 2 strokes on the trails.

For trails, FS roads, and the occasional around town hooligan action, get the KTM. The only place the KLR is better is extended street riding. The KTM will kick it's ass at EVERYTHING else.

As far as longevity goes, yeah, you'll get more life out of the KLR, but realistically speaking, unless you ride the piss out of either one for years, you really won't have to do much more than basic maintenance.

Last edited:
4 stroke all the way!!! alot less maint = more fun less chance of break downs due to fowlin plugs and going through top ends. i ride a yz450f 4 stroke race bike in the trails and on the track it's the best for all the type of riding in washington mud, slipery root's, small downed tree's ECT ECT.......

PS you will not like the 2 stroke hassle of mixing gas everytime you wanna ride too......kinda a pain in the ass. liquid cooled 4 strokes RULE!!!!! :awesomework:

I disagree 100%

Boonie you really need to ride one. Dont worry about gas mileage, you will be able to ride pretty much all day on 2.5 gallons in the woods. But like Freeride said, its really a KLR vs KTM debate...

I rode the KLR, I like it, i think it's a better choice for me, seeing as how i'm not a crazy rider. So..... I'm going to get the KLR. Plus I never heard back from the guy with the KTM...oh well...

My dad has a '99 (I think) KLR250, and it is a real neat bike I think. Kinda of a big turd at times, but it has enough power for trails, untill you start wantign to go fast, then you outgrow it's abilities real fast.

That being said, they do very poor on the highway. My dad rode the 250 to work a couple times, but he said it has enough power to moves itself at 60 or 65 (i think he geared it down a bit thought too), but if a car goes the other way, or passes you or anything, he said it can pull you around. The bikes lightness (compared to bigger bikes) is nice on the trail, but it is a real bitch on the road once you get to 50mph or so.

If I had to chose, I would go with the KTM hands down! For being 2 strokes they make a lot of low end power, they are somewhat light and great for trails. Granted from what I've heard KTM's are spendy to repiar, but at the same time, parts can be hard to find for the KLR's (sometimes).

it all depends on your riding ability and style, I ride a rm250 (2-stroke) pretty much woods and off road only and smoke four strokes all day long. BUT i have a very aggressive riding style that suits the bike very well. it is light, nimble, and easy to start.

if you want to cruise around with easy low cost maintenance, the kawi is for you

if you want to be a woods rocket, the katoom.

-Nick

Latest posts