• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

$200 tow rig!

al1tonyota

Ok I found a heck of a deal on this truck, company truck that was decommissioned three years ago and been sitting since! It is a 1998 K2500 Silverado 4x4 with a 7.4 vortec 4L80e with 3.73's and150k miles! I went and picked it up yesterday used its winch to pull it up on the trailer and towed it home, unloaded it today put a hot battery in it and it fired right up no smoke and good oil pressure! I have all the maintenance and service records since 2008 pretty cool being able to know for sure what all has been changed and repaired!

Wanting to kinda fix it back up and make it dependable and also look good! Plans are to get the little stuff here and there fixed up put some good tires and some '06 factory aluminum wheels, exhaust, mild stereo system and a brake controller. It already has a gooseneck hitch.

The brakes aren't what I feel like they should be kinda spongy probably need to be adjusted? Has anyone done a disk brake conversion on a tow rig with a factory brake system? 14b full floater disk conversions are very common I've done a few but on trail rigs just wondering about a street only tow rig?

a9d3981fc9b67c6d44277d2ecf0356ca.jpg
13270180ea5b9c0bf80876dc1f4885c4.jpg

Heck yeah that will run forever.

Use the caddy eldarado calipers as they have the integrated ebrake stuff. Or find a late modal 14bff that already had the disc brakes...

xjkrawler said:
Heck yeah that will run forever.

Use the caddy eldarado calipers as they have the integrated ebrake stuff. Or find a late modal 14bff that already had the disc brakes...
Yea I didn't think about the e brake!

Well it cranked up this morning so I drove it to work, about 45 miles round trip plus took it by the dealer my dad works at and did some stuff to it! Changed the oil,greased front end, adjusted the rear shoes, got the taillights working (unplugged under bed?), turned up the torsion bars some. Well apparently she is used to a little thicker oil? Put whatever is in the bulk oil tank? 5w20 prob? The oil pressure was a good 10psi lower guess I'll have to buy some oil 10-40 or so... May pull the engine and put some new rod and main bearings in if it gets worse? After all I can afford to put a little money in it seeing as how I'm only up to $268 so far.

Got all the garbage cleaned out of it, found some interesting stuff! Map of fort McClellan and a really rusted very large bullet that I'm told is a practice round? And a air horn that I wasted scarring folks at work :woot:

45a008451e79e794229496633585c632.jpg

Maiden voyage to Mississippi to meet Matt went well! Quarter tank in 96 miles!

New parts list: battery, door ajar switch, abs sensor, wipers, 3 lug studs,lug nut

Total as of now: $395.38

I know that truck personally I worked for the company that had it Matrix Environmental. They ran over a huge rock and busted transmission and transfer case and bent the hell out of the drive shaft I wondered where it went. They cleaned up the old fort looking for unexploded grenades and ****. I wanted it but they hauled it off.

natedawgxj said:
I know that truck personally I worked for the company that had it Matrix Environmental. They ran over a huge rock and busted transmission and transfer case and bent the hell out of the drive shaft I wondered where it went. They cleaned up the old fort looking for unexploded grenades and ****. I wanted it but they hauled it off.
The trans pan has a big dent in it but looks like it's been in there for a long time as well as the tcase and driveshaft? How long ago was that?

al1tonyota said:
The trans pan has a big dent in it but looks like it's been in there for a long time as well as the tcase and driveshaft? How long ago was that?

3 years or more. They had a few of them it may not be it.. All of them are Beat hard.. The Fort has a lot of rough trails form talking to the guys that worked there.

natedawgxj said:
3 years or more. They had a few of them it may not be it.. All of them are Beat hard.. The Fort has a lot of rough trails form talking to the guys that worked there.
Ahh prob a different one I got all the service and maintenance records and nothin about it in there, this truck has sat since '12 they bought it in '07 and only put 23k on it but the winch mount has been welded back on 3 times

Few updates: new shocks, wheel bearings seal and brake hardware left rear wheel, changed fluid in rear end, found a sweet deal on some 2008 aluminum 17's,

5ab454a0bc1e1ac453d86dd18df98644.jpg