• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2000 cherokee wont start

jmh78

2000 Cherokee wont start unless you pour some fuel in the throttle body. Once it is started it runs fine. Thought for sure it was the fuel pump/regulator assembly so bought a new Bosch assembly. Pretty much the same response with new one installed. You can hear the pump kick on and then shut off once it builds pressure (2-3 seconds).

The ignition switch can be finicky, like the windows/ radio won't work sometimes unless you jiggle the key, this has never affected it running though.

Any thoughts?

Any one ever had ignition switch troubles that caused similar issues?

Thanks

Did you replace the entire assembly or just the pump? The reason I ask is that the fuel pressure regulator is in the tank. Not really sure if it's in the pump or not.
On my 98 I had to cycle the key 2 or 3 times to avoid a long crank. Did this for 4 years.

Need to get a gauge on fuel rail and see what pressure is and see if it's holding pressure after initial prime, I've seen new pumps be bad or weak, 49 psi is what it calls for, also change the fuel filter could be a little clogged and initial prime not enough pressure to fire, could be bad pcm but doubtful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips. I replaced the whole assembly, pump, regulator and sending unit.

Not sure how it could be ignition coil, since it cranks when you pour fuel in the throttle body.

jmh78 said:
Thanks for the tips. I replaced the whole assembly, pump, regulator and sending unit.

Not sure how it could be ignition coil, since it cranks when you pour fuel in the throttle body.
So you're saying the starter won't even turn without pouring gas in it? I just know a buddy of mine had trouble starting his 94. He gave it a blast of starting fluid every time he fired it up. That went on for a few months. Then he replaced the ignition coil and all was good.

It turns over fine all the time it just wont fire up unless you pour some fuel in throttle body.

I'll put ignition coil on list just incase.

Thanks

This is going to sound stupid as hell but check your spark plug gap, if it gets too far out of gap it will have a hard start.

Definitely somethin wrong with new fuel pump. Pulled line loose at fuel rail and it would barely put out a solid stream. Put old pump assembly back in, pulled the crank position sensor, cleaned connector and blew the ignition switch out. All seams well now.