• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

205 doublers?

Pineygroveoffroad

I've been checking out the NWF 231/241 205 doubler, range box thingy. Anyone know of other brands that offer something similar in a DIY kit like NWF does? Anyone on here ran one of these? My buggy consists of LQ9 6.0, th400, 205, d60& 14b with 4:56's, 42" sx2's, 117 wheelbase, 3800lb. I'm geared to high currently looking at 241 doubler, or a lomax 3:1 kit for my 205 to gear me down. Any help would be greatly appreciated oh and I'm broke as a :JRich:

http://www.northwestfab.com/NWF-Eco-Box-Billet-Planetary-Doubler-Case_p_2403.html

Squeezing that big bulky doubler into a buggy is a job... Can be done but it's tough... The 4:1 is nice... But your gonna have almost $1500 in it time you buy cable shifters, the adapter and the 241... The lo Max is nice and will prob be great... I have couple friends running 5.3/th350/lo Max 205 or atlas 3.0/4.88s and 44 boggers and they work really well...

I would either lo Max it or find an atlas if goin into a buggy but just my opinion

have you looked at the Box 4 Rocks 241 doubler? He is on Pirate. He has a machined aluminum case that you load the planetary system into from a 241. I have only installed it in my rig as I am still in the fab stage but it went together well, had good clockability. It does add some length to the drivetrain which will affect you driveshafts. Cost was about $600 two years ago. You could probably regear to 5.13's for about the same price.

Lil ugly said:
have you looked at the Box 4 Rocks 241 doubler? He is on Pirate. He has a machined aluminum case that you load the planetary system into from a 241. I have only installed it in my rig as I am still in the fab stage but it went together well, had good clockability. It does add some length to the drivetrain which will affect you driveshafts. Cost was about $600 two years ago. You could probably regear to 5.13's for about the same price.

I bought one of the box for rocks, great product, you have to have a donor 241 transfercase to use the planetary gear for the box for rocks. I picked up a 241 donor case for $100, bought the box for rocks for $600, had to change the input gear on the 205 ($100) then had to get an adpter since my 205 was a figure 8 pattern. ($100) I ended up buying a JB FAB triple transfer case shifter. ($395) I really like the box my gears range 1:1, 1:1.96, 1:2.7, and 1:5.3. I use the 1:2.7 gear the most and rarely use the 1:5.3 gear, the 5.3 gear is for super slow technical obstacles. Like one person said, it does add length to the drive line and I ended up having to extend the jeeps wheelbase out to 120 to get a decent drivedhaft length. In hindsight, I probably would have went a different way, np205 with a 3:1 gear, with 4.88's or 5.13 gears in the diffs. It is one of those deals though now that I have it all setup I really like it.

Neal3000 said:
Why is that?
Because of the high efficient efi and the torque and hp curves of an ls high low and three gears is pleanty of options a 3:1 with 4.88 or 3.8:1 with 4.10-4.56 is pleanty low for crawling anything over 75:1 is too low and basically worthless IMO

al1tonyota said:
Because of the high efficient efi and the torque and hp curves of an ls high low and three gears is pleanty of options a 3:1 with 4.88 or 3.8:1 with 4.10-4.56 is plenty low for crawling anything over 75:1 is too low and basically worthless IMO

Yup. My low range is 50:1 and even it is pretty much useless. I do use it on rare occasions but I spend 90% of my time in either 2nd and 3rd low range or 1st high range.

Once I put a 5.3 in my old rig I never used the doubler and ended up taking it out to shave weight and set the motor way back in the chassis for weight distribution..

Even with my old 200HP tbi motor and 700r4 with a stock v6 Toyota case behind it, I never felt that I needed a doubler with 39s and 5.71 gears.

That was 45:1 low gear, and it would pull through 3rd in low range.

TBItoy said:
Even with my old 200HP tbi motor and 700r4 with a stock v6 Toyota case behind it, I never felt that I needed a doubler with 39s and 5.71 gears.

That was 45:1 low gear, and it would pull through 3rd in low range.
I've had two that were stupid low geared
Cab truck 5.0 t18 black box Dana 300 4.56's 205:1
Toyota cab truck 3rz taco 5 speed 3.8 2.28:1 4.7:1 4.10's 167:1

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but I will keep adding.

I had a rig with a fairly mild 355 SBC, TH350, 203/D300 doubler, 4.10's and 44" TSL's at one point. I think I put the 203 in low range once to play with it after I first built the rig. It literally never saw low range again after that. The 203 was a total and complete waste. I did all my wheeling with the D300 in low. The SBC didn't really have enough power to hold 3rd gear on steep hills but 2nd gear got the job done in most occasions.

Re:

I always wanted to put something behind my 241 because I thought it was the thing to do but with my stick 350, 700r4, 241, 5.13 and 39s it works pretty good so I'll save my money especially after reading this thread.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't get the statement that it's unneeded with a LS, i think its pretty much a waste for SE wheeling period. In the 2nd reincarnation of my fj40 i had 350/sm420 and a double t-cases and 4:11 axle gears and the only place i ever used it was out west at the rubicon and moab, and once at golden mt when it was dry as a bone. It was cool though, i could get out with the rig moving, go take a piss, get a beer out of the cooler, and then walk about 10' and get back in lol!

Neal3000 said:
I don't get the statement that it's unneeded with a LS, i think its pretty much a waste for SE wheeling period. In the 2nd reincarnation of my fj40 i had 350/sm420 and a double t-cases and 4:11 axle gears and the only place i ever used it was out west at the rubicon and moab, and once at golden mt when it was dry as a bone. It was cool though, i could get out with the rig moving, go take a piss, get a beer out of the cooler, and then walk about 10' and get back in lol!

If you had a 90hp 4-banger running a 44" tire I would say that a doubler might be a wise choice no matter where you wheel. :)