• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

205 output

taterfab

I broke a 205 output Saturday. Been a while since I put doubler together and went through both cases. Can I replace the output without pulling case out ? I think I can just got to get the needle 15 bearings back in. Am I correct? Thanks

Yup. 8 bolts. You have to pull the speedo gear to get one of the bolts out. The one behind the breather tube has to come out last, gotta kinda fiddle it and the housing out at the same time. Gear and everything drops right out, including those bearings. Use some grease to hold them in place when you stick it all back together, I'm getting ready to do this exact thing tomorrow.

I did this last year while upgrading to a 32 spline front output. It is a bit more of a pain if you do it without taking it out of the vehicle but I was able to get it back together. I found that it was impossible to line everything up unless I put a rag in the bottom of the back of the transfer case to hold the gear and shift mechanism up and on the shift fork while lining up the output. That probably makes no sense but hopefully it will once you have it apart. Just don't forget to take the rag out once you get it all lined up. It takes less than a 15 seconds of run time to shred a rag inside an np205 t-case and it really sucks to redo the job and have to clean a million pieces of rag out out of it.

Northwest Fab is making Titan outputs for both ends, not sure on the availability of either.

If you put both ends in high before you take it apart, it should hold the shift fork and collar in place for you. I've only had to do it once and it worked for me then.