• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22-re not starting/backfiring. Timing chain broke?

PaulSac

So I had my 22re rebuilt last year and put about 3500 miles on it so far. Drove it around Saturday and it ran just fine and then parked it. Got in this morning and turned the key over and it backfired loud and did not start. When I crank it it starts for 1/2 a second then dies right off. Sometimes backfiring. Do you think the timing chain could have broke? I dont know if it would even start for that half a second then. Any one have ideas. I had to rush off and get a ride to work so I havent looked at it yet. After work I will check the rotor. Maybe that broke?

Pull the valve cover off 6 bolts will tell you if you broke your chain but if it runs then your chain ain't broke maybe skipped a tooth or could be fuel issue..... Lots of possibilities with what you describe

I took a quick look at lunch and if I turn the key and give it no gas it fires up real nice and idles great for about 5 seconds then dies. If you touch the gas it dies. So it must be like a fuel filter or fuel pump problem.

When it backfired, it likely damaged the MAF sensor, or airflow meter...pop the air cleaner lid off, and see if there's any resistance to the flapper door inside, if not then the spring is likely broke....time for another...

Any codes? Everyone has given good advice as to what to check but we need to know what your have checked in order to point you in the right direction.

I took a quick look at lunch and if I turn the key and give it no gas it fires up real nice and idles great for about 5 seconds then dies. If you touch the gas it dies. So it must be like a fuel filter or fuel pump problem.

Sounds like fuel pump had it happen on two of my rigs easy to pull out once you drop the tank you can jump it straight to the battery