• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22r Blow By

Toy4runner

So a while ago I think I figured out that my 84 4runner has excessive blow by. If you plug the PCV system in, it starts leaking a bunch of oil out of the timing cover. However when we plugged all of this in, there was a screw in the port on the carb where the front hose connects so we left it unplugged and plugged in the PCV and it still leaked a lot of oil. While I have read this could be caused by excessive blow by, I am not completely sold since my truck does not burn any oil whatsoever.

I would like your guyses opinions, should I go ahead and grab a PCV, take that screw out and hook everything up? Or save the time and mess and save up for a rebuild? And how safe is it to drive it with blowby? I would like to go wheeling this summer since I only got out once last summer. I have driven it about 100 miles since hooking up the PCV system and it runs great for a 22r with a weber, 4.10s and 33" TSL's.

Take a vid of it if you can and post up...Typically if it puffs smoke at idle, it's on its way to rebuild time. Keep in mind that a certain amt of 'pressure' felt at the PCV opening is acceptable, but smoke out the hole is not.

If the PCV system is working properly, then it should be able to draw a fair amt of blow-by pressure from the crankcase--I have seen 'puffers' with no leaks caused by excessive pressure in the crankcase, because the PCV system is drawing it all.
If it is puffing, then my next step would be doing a compression test/cylinder leakdown test to find out just where the compression loss is coming from.

My first toyota truck I had many moons ago had so much blow by that I had a rubber hose from the dipstick tube to a snapple bottle zip tied next to the radiator. Just pour it back in the crankcase and keep going.Lol let me know if you need a hand with anything. And I should have a spare engine laying around here in a week or two. Jeff :awesomework:

Thanks Jeff i dont got much funds right now since i have to rebuild the knuckles as well but i will keep that in mind for sure. So i got some videos i will post when i get infront of a pc. I did not see any puffing and i looked from many angles and i couldnt see anything. The pcv rattles so it should still be good. I let it warm up to operating temp as well to be sure and didnt see anything while the pcv was removed.

So I am not sure if that amount of air is acceptable, but if it is then I will run the engine as is. Though I am looking at future options and thinking of doing some sort of swap since the 22r/e can only go so far horsepower wise. I was thinking of the 1.9 TDI swap. What are your guyses opinions on what I should do? I love the low end torque those motors can produce as well as the mileage compared to a V6.