• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22R EFI Swap

84Toyota4x4

Because I cant find the other thread, here is a new one...

Basically, I have an 84 truck, with a mix and matched motor I built, all "old style" components, so tall block, adapted dual row timing chain and stuff. I want to put EFI on it, and I know I did the research a while back and made a thread so I could come back and look at it, but it appears to be gone now. Pirate is down right now so I cant search there, but basically what I have collected from other sites is very conflicting. I will have a whole truck for parts.

Anyway, I do NOT want to change ANYTHING other than the intake, distributor, tank, etc. Meaning, NO swapping heads and crap. Can it be done?

I read that the 84 head will work with the EFI manifold, true?

I plan to run my header and drill it for an O2 sensor, where should it be? A runner or in the collector?

I read about needing a knock sensor, I plan to drill and tap a spot on the block that apparently is available to use, correct? I might already have one available, who knows.

As long as this works mechanically (IE - fits together), I think I can make it work electronically. Im just a little concerned about putting the EFI manifold on my carb'd 84 head and having it work.

I heard there are actually two styles of 84 heads, one that was drilled and tapped for just the carb manifold, and one that has both patterns, my truck has a head with both patterns, it should work then, right?

~T.J.

EDIT: Pictures are as follows:

1. 84 carb only head

2. 84 "dual pattern" head

3. My engine I built during assembly with my 84 head

Last edited:
Anyone? I didnt think to find a picture of an -RE head to compare, nor the mating side of the -RE intake... I'll see if I can find one here in a little while.

~T.J.

because of your head im not sure. if you were to put in a o2sensor it would need to be in the runner. if you used a computer from an 89 or newer, the collector

Really? Well, I will most likely be using a setup from a 90, so collector then?

~T.J.

EDIT: Pirate is back up, a lot of my questions just got answered, however I havent seen anything about this yet?

Last edited:
Once upon a time, Crash switched his 22R to RE. He might be able to help. He said "...now she SCREAMS..." IIRC.

On my '89 the O2 sensor is underneath the bed somewhere. Before the catalytic converter. If the big pipe that goes from the header to the cat converter is the collector...that is what I am referring to.

The "collector" is the part where all the individual runners collect into one pipe, so Id say anywhere along there would probably work then. Good to know, thanks.

I have pretty much determined that the crap will bolt on after looking at pictures of known 22RE heads and mine, along with reading some more. Now I guess I do have some questions about the wiring...

The FAQ on Pirate is for the EFI swap onto a 22R using the 2nd gen style parts, I'm gonna use 3rd gen, so is there anything else I need to watch for? I heard something about the harnesses being different?

~T.J.

Last edited:
84Toyota4x4 said:
I heard something about the harnesses being different?
The ECM plugs changed at some point. I don't know specifics though, just that '86 and '95 are completely different.

skrause said:
The ECM plugs changed at some point. I don't know specifics though, just that '86 and '95 are completely different.

my 89 computer(3rd gen) has the same plugs as my 86 harness:flipoff:

skinny_pedal said:
my 89 computer(3rd gen) has the same plugs as my 86 harness:flipoff:
Are you sure the wires/pinout is the same?

I honestly don't remember which it was, I just know I couldn't mix those two years without a major headache that wasn't worth it since there was no benefit for me.

skrause said:
Are you sure the wires/pinout is the same?

I honestly don't remember which it was, I just know I couldn't mix those two years without a major headache that wasn't worth it since there was no benefit for me.

only problem i had is every few minutes it would studder and toss up a check engine light. that was an o2 sensor and afm code. so slapped in the correct computer..golden. it wouldnt surprise me though if the pins did change though.

Well, by being different, I heard that the 90 harness was actually seperate from some other harness or some crap? Maybe the engine harness is seperate from the body harness? Who knows...

~T.J.

84Toyota4x4 said:
Well, by being different, I heard that the 90 harness was actually seperate from some other harness or some crap? Maybe the engine harness is seperate from the body harness? Who knows...

~T.J.
The 86 is too. Two connectors on the ECM for the whole seperate engine harness and one for the dash and associated body stuff.

I see, ok. So I can just add the ECU along with the harness, and not even really splice into mine then? Is that how it works? Or am I thinking about it wrong?

~T.J.

EDIT: I would need power and such from the truck, but not much to it it seems...

Last edited:
84Toyota4x4 said:
I see, ok. So I can just add the ECU along with the harness, and not even really splice into mine then? Is that how it works? Or am I thinking about it wrong?

~T.J.

EDIT: I would need power and such from the truck, but not much to it it seems...
If the connectors fit you shouldn't have to splice anything but I'd get wiring diagrams for both and make sure they match.

I think Ive got it mostly figured out now through searching and crap. Ive just gotta get the parts and do it now. Too bad I just found out I need to rebuild my rear diff again too. Cracked teeth and shot bearings :mad:

~T.J.

BTT!

Ok, so since this thread, I have aquired a 90 Pickup 4WD with a 22RE with rod knock. Ran great other than the rod knock. Anyway, Im gonna swap the EFI onto my truck. I pulled the intake, dizzy, and harness tonight and got to thinking...

The 90 has TWO oxygen sensors, one before and one after the cat. I have no cat on my truck. Do I still have to run both sensors? If I do, will it cause problems for the ECU not being able to tell a difference between sensor one and sensor two as far as for catalyst efficiency? I just don't want it running in limp mode or throwing up check engine lights and crap because of the O2 sensor problems.

~T.J.

it sounds to me like youve got a cali truck i would assume that the seccond o2 is for emissions controls but im not positive and may or may not affect how it runs you work at michaels toyota dont you? ask one of the master techs or pm crashy see if theyll share any knowledge (some people are greedy with it :beer: $$$ more:beer: ) i know it takes 3 or 4 single pole single throw relays (bosch seems to have the highest quality) and about a hour to hook up a newer style efi harness i havent done it myself but 2 of my buddys have the 3rd gen efi wired into their rigs let us know what you find on the seccond o2 sensor:beer: :beer: :beer: