• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22R EFI Swap

You know, I was thinking its cali emissions too. I was studying the vacuum diagrams, and mine seemed to fit the cali emissions diagram a lot better (this was before I found two O2s). However, even looking at the Cali emissions diagram, mine has more vacuum valves on the valve cover (four). The Cali emissions truck only has three.

Im thinking just like someone said, I might just toss a cat in it anyway, then run both O2 sensors. But then again, who knows. I might just ditch this idea and find some older EFI stuff to work with instead.

~T.J.

Nope, I sure dont. I wonder why someone thinks I do... They must just have me confused with someone else.

Does anyone have a non-Cali emissions 3rd gen truck or 4Runner that can tell me if you have one or two O2 sensors? According to Napa and Schucks, there is an upstream and downstream listed for a 90 truck.

I'm starting to think I should have used earlier EFI parts.

~T.J.

Last edited:
i obviously got you guys mixed up... my buddy just did a efi swap using a 91 4runner as a donor and it only runs 1 o2 sensor. from what ive heard the later 90 and newer? fuel injection is better and simpler to wire ill ask my buddy that wired it where he found all the info i think it was on pirates its simpler than youd think to wire it:beer: :beer: :beer:

Thats cool.

I found out the truck is Cali emissions for sure. It has two O2 sensors, and an EGR temp sensor as well. Other than that, seems to be about the same.

Im not afraid of the wiring, seems pretty simple for the most part. Once I figure out my plan of attack anyway. Someone on Pirate emailed me some good sections from the 90 FSM that have been REALLY helpful.

Right now I'm just trying to decide which way to go with the wiring. I know I need to run the new EFI harness in my truck obviously, but does it take the place of the existing engine harness? Some people have said they run into problems when they try and swap the whole harness, and that they should have piggy backed them.

I guess I just need to look at how mine is set up in my truck and figure out how I'm going to tie them together from there.

~T.J.

its a toy not a show truck slap the efi harness in completely seperate from your stock harness and use your stock charging system. dont pull any of the stock wiring just use pigtails under the hood to tie them together. then if you have any issues down the road its easy to isolate

That seems to be the consensus Im getting from people. I think thats the route I may end up taking ultimately, with my own twists as to making it look as clean as possible.

Im still trying to sort it all out and plan the plugs and splices and so on too, so we'll see what I end up with.

~T.J.