• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22r not running right

FROST

Need some help with my buddies 87 22r 5speed. First off these have been replaced fuel filter, plugs and wires, and both accelerator pumps in carb. It's having problems running. It has no power and when you go to start out in 1st gear it'll bog down and sometimes stall when the throttle is pressed too hard. Next up is fuel pump. We just don't know where to go with it. Maybe some good carb tuning and timing? Timing is set at 0 degrees with advance vacuum lines dis connected and plugged. Any ideas or suggestion are appreciated! :corn:

Did you double check the float to see if it is working & not "waterlogged" (no leak in the float body) & is the float level correct on the carb? Is 0 degrees correct timing? I seem to remember 4 degrees btds (advanced) for some reason.

Last edited:
Set it to 8* btdc and double check the vacuum line routing. I battled my 84 with ironically an 87 22r and carb for a long time till I figured out the lines.

Call Carb Connection and ask for Nels
Tell him Ed Bister recommended you and he will take good care of you and is very fair. :beer:

13611 NE 126th Pl #240, Kirkland, WA 98034
(425) 820-1871

Manual says timing at 8* like Trash said... thats what mine is set at.

Where you at in Stanwood? You got a factory manual? I have on that has all kinds of info on line routing and timing info.

Awesome. Ill have him set it at 8. Also replaced fuel pump with no change. Located in town. Maverick ill PM you if we don't get any change with correct timing. Thanks guys.

Update: timing set to 8 degrees. Replaced PCV because it was clogged. Next is vacuum lines? There's a under good diagram, will be tracing those. Been doing some searching, you guys think that the timing chain could have skipped a tooth? Are these any symptoms? Weber 32/36 on the way. But I wanna make sure it's a carb problem first.

Update: timing set to 8 degrees. Replaced PCV because it was clogged. Next is vacuum lines? There's a under good diagram, will be tracing those. Been doing some searching, you guys think that the timing chain could have skipped a tooth? Are these any symptoms? Weber 32/36 on the way. But I wanna make sure it's a carb problem first.
When my 22RE skipped a tooth, it ran like ****. Had no power and stalled at idle. But it was assembled that way, so how would yours be off?

Warm and cold. Just completely re did all the vacuum lines. They were all messed up. Starting to point toward a carb problem I believe. Thanks for all the ideas