• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22re knocking

slim83

i put a motor together for my 87 4runner everything new but the rods i pulled the old motor put the new one in the vacuum lines already had labels on them and they got put back were they came from the motor started right up ran good had plenty of power i put 500mi on it changed the oil every thing looked good i put another 500mi on it and it now has a knock on number 4 cyl if i short out number 4 plug it stops knocking it only does it from 2200-2500 i pulled the oil pan checked all rod bearings and main bearings everything still looks new i pushed the rods up and down and had no play on the small end of the rods i put it all back together then i pulled the intake and it was full of fuel i found the fpr was hooked straight to vacuum and not to the vsv and the egr diaphragm moves very easy do you think my knock could be fuel knock from it just dumping fuel

is it a knock or a tick?
i have found that sometimes a noisy fuel pressure reg. it pretty tickety at higher rpms on some rigs, not sure why but just have noticed it.

Recheck the valve lash? possable lifter if it is a tick N not a knock?

i'm gonna do a egr delete get my vacuum lines hooked up right and recheck the vale lash the fuel pressure regulator on the end of the fuel rail was hooked straight to vacuum on the manifold and not to the vsv hopefully this will fix it i'm to damn broke from they holidays to go through this motor and rebuild it again

ya that would be bad, all the extra fuel dumpin back into the intake! how does the oil level look? may have thinned out the oil and killed a bearing?

The fuel pressure regulator (FPR) is SUPPOSED to be hooked to vacuum.

The FPR has two nipples. The small one gets vacuum, the bigger one is the fuel return line.

ALL other lines can be eliminated. The only vacuum line needed to run an EFI 22re is the one to the FPR. Two others can be left on the steering pump to idle up the engine when dry steering at an idle. Those two lines have NOTHING to do with emissions, only the steering pump pressure.

Be sure to make block off plates for the egr on the head and intake too.

well i did the egr delete got the fpr hooked up correctly checked the valve lash and it is still knocking i guess the motor is gonna have to come out and be gone through to see if i find anything i'm kinda stumped i already had the pan off and checked the rods and mains and pushed the rods up and down to check for play on the small end and found nothing wrong maybe all the extra fuel started to wash out the rings on #4 cyl and it has piston slap

Did you put new wristpin bushings in too. Threw a motor together with all new except those once and had a knock from it....:mad: had to tear it back down:looser:

wrist pin bushings is the only thing i did not replace because they didn't seem to have play in them when i put it together but that doesn't mean that it was just enough not but feel it but enough to make it knock i dropped the oil pan and started on the head so i can pull the problem piston out and get a better look at it

I have heard of several cases where especially the do-it-yourselfers have had a similar problem. most of the package kits don't include the wristpin bushings, at least the ones i've seen. may or may not be the issue with your ****.....just saying.:awesomework: