• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22RE questions

ManiacMagoo

Ok so pretty much I hate pirate anymore since searching gets your waisted flames. I have an 85 4runner with a 22re in it. Has 289k on odo and I was told that went for the motor as well. It has ran decent but gutless since I had it. I went through did a timing chain and gasket set on it when I first got it. It still sputtered water and oil out the exhaust after so I knew it was probably a head issue. Well it still remained getting 20+mpg so I drve it till today. I took off this morning saw a big cloud of white smoke out the exhaust and thought hum thats not good and it went away about 4 miles down the road it felt gutless and didnt like any gear above 3rd. I pulled in a parking lot to see coolant dumping out so turned and hit the house. I dranined the coolant and thats where things got interesting.

So my coolant looks like mud with oil poured on the top layer like chocalate syrup. I thought **** check the oil hum no water in oil and it still looks new. tore the motor apart and the head doesn't have that much corrosion and I can't figure out where the oil is getting into the water at. I do know that I have to dump a quart of oil in and fill the coolant bottle in this thing. So any ideas on what it can be? Moneys real tight and sucks it is my daily driver.

Head gasket or timing chain cover. Pull the valve cover and shine a flash light down inside the timing chain cover. Check and see if the guide is still there on the driver's side... if not, I bet the cover is worn through. If all looks good inside the timing chain cover (guide still there, cover not work through), then it's time for a head gasket.

It has less then 2k on this head gasket and timing chain and I canj find a hole in the cover anywhere. So it's possible for it to pull oil in from the cover to the cooling system yet not into the oil?

It has less then 2k on this head gasket and timing chain and I canj find a hole in the cover anywhere. So it's possible for it to pull oil in from the cover to the cooling system yet not into the oil?

Ahh, guess I missed that part in the first post about the fresh HG. Did you have the head surfaced or check it for flatness when you did the first HG? Also, it's very possible the head is cracked and allowing the oil and coolant to mix.

I hate it when the problem is not obvious when you tear it apart... makes it that much harder trying to decide how far to take it when putting things back together.

Last edited:
I checked it last time with a straight edge looked good. I'm leaning to a crack I can't see but now I'm at the point of the miles and price of a new head gaskets and such lol

Latest posts