• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

231 v6 in my 98 tj

http://
2exrjis.jpg

And the magnet says !!!the guy wrote down aluminum block is full of **** because I magnet does not stick to aluminum ,even a shiny is that picture is ,the magnet sticks.now I just have to fix the back break and find somebody with the Dino so I can find out just how many horsepower it really has.

And back to my original question which would be easier changing the axles to my coil over and link suspension that is already on my jeep.(i gess is the way it's put)or leave it With springs The way it is on the Datsun now but put on my jeep.
2zz8gt3.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
And it's drive line turns two times to one for the tire.so 2-1 what's that say?.

It's says you measured incorrectly.

Put a block under the front tires.
Lift both back tires off the ground.
Put jackstands under the rig, so, if it falls you don't get squished.
Put the transmission in neutral
Crawl under back of truck.
Spin the driveshaft by hand. Both tires should turn the same direction, and the exact same amount.
It should take between three to five revolutions to turn the tires one full circle.
Count those revolutions
That's your approximate ration.

If you are spinning the tires (instead of the driveshaft) then the differential is coming into play and skewing your results.

I'm not a Toyota guy,,,, but typical ratios are like 3.54 to 1, 3.73 to 1, 4.10 to 1, 4.56 to 1 etc. So, this should get you close.

In reality, it doesn't really matter what the ratio is, as, or the horsepower, either you like driving this rig, or, you like driving the Jeep, or you don't. If you don't, then sell them AS IS, to someone who will. Then use the money to build or buy something you do like.

Last edited:
I had both tires off the ground but I had it in gear and was turning the driveline I will go back out and do it in neutral both the back tires off the ground .no real need for jackstands it be hard to get crushed us it's pretty ****ing tall

I had both tires off the ground but I had it in gear and was turning the driveline I will go back out and do it in neutral both the back tires off the ground .no real need for jackstands it be hard to get crushed us it's pretty ****ing tall

IF it's in gear, then the driveshaft cannot turn as it's mechanically linked to the engine (which isn't turning).

Okay if I turn the driveline to slow the drivers side tire stops turning ,but if I can turn it fast enough and keep pressure on it they roll.driveline turns about 3 1/2 turns for one turn of the tire.does that sound a little more correct?

It was built by Lynnwood off road in about 1987 or so .like I've posted before the guy I got the truck from put $25,000 or more into it.it's a little freaking beast

I'm a jeep guy not a truck guy ! I'd really like to put the engine tranny and axles into my jeep and just build a little monster Jeep.that's why I was asking what the better way to go suspension wise.but since I ****ed up my first post everybody ragged at me and thought I didn't know what the hell I had .well I know somewhat of what I had .I guess I didn't know that I was told somethings were what they are but I know now.but bottom line is I think it would make a bitchin jeep

3.5 is a common axle ratio, for decent economy. It's a poor ratio for wheeling.

Toyota axles, in general, are a reasonable swap into a jeep. But in this case, I wouldn't do it, as I doubt you have lockers, I doubt you have upgraded shafts, and it seems you have a poor ratio for wheeling.

Furthermore, I highly doubt that guy put anywhere near 25,000 US dollars into that rig. Especially, if you're talking 1987's money (which is like 50k in today's money)

And, that engine is not a desired swap engine in today's world.

Sell this rig, and hope and pray you get your money's worth. It's not worth taking apart.

I paid three grand for the truck I knew the motor had very low mileage on it and was worth the money. I will put it in a rat Rod if nothing else .I know it's good for that.it revs at about 35 to 3800 rpm at 60 miles an hour so as far as economy goes I don't know maybe i did not get the right rotation when I tried it.but the motor will bring all four of those 35 12 15's loose on dry pavement so it does have good power.

4x4 toy axles never had 3.5 ratio... I'm betting your first attempt at spinning was based on one tire spinning one turn...if that's the case then double the counts to make up for the other not spinning...toy did make 3.91's in 1981, everything else was 4:10 around those yrs...:awesomework:

I would make the conversion on the jeep. It sounds like the makings of a monster jeep. You will probably need a wheelie bar.:redneck:

I'm wondering if my stock jeep axles are actually strong enough or not ,I guess if they break their not .I can get an adapter for the turbo 350 transmission to my Jeeps transfer case which I have already put a beefed up shaft in when I did my lift kit.