• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

231 v6 in my 98 tj

Okay I have a 98 Jeep Wrangler with a 4 inch suspension lift at it to Inchbody lift I want to put my 231 V6 turbo 350 transmission Toyota straight axles and 1 ton gears into my TJ but I don't know if I want to keep my leaf springs or swap theindependent suspension onto this Toyota straight axles any thoughts on whether this would work well for how hard it could be:D

After much deciphering, this is what I've concluded the OP meant;

"I have a 98 Jeep Wrangler. It has a 4 inch suspension lift AND a two inch body lift. (Since I already own these parts) I'm thinking about installing my 231 V6 (GM engine) and it's matching TH350 transmission. (I also currently have) a set of Toyota straight axles (with low gears) and thinking about also adding them to the Wrangler. Since the Toyota axles are on leaf springs, I don't know if I want to keep the leaf springs, or swap the coil/linked suspension onto the Toyota axles. Any thoughts on whether this would work? Or how hard it could be?"

Anybody else decipher it the same way?

After much deciphering, this is what I've concluded the OP meant;

"I have a 98 Jeep Wrangler. It has a 4 inch suspension lift AND a two inch body lift. (Since I already own these parts) I'm thinking about installing my 231 V6 (GM engine) and it's matching TH350 transmission. (I also currently have) a set of Toyota straight axles (with low gears) and thinking about also adding them to the Wrangler. Since the Toyota axles are on leaf springs, I don't know if I want to keep the leaf springs, or swap the coil/linked suspension onto the Toyota axles. Any thoughts on whether this would work? Or how hard it could be?"

Anybody else decipher it the same way?

No way, we could make fun of that, but not nearly as much!!!!:wtf:

I have a stock 98 Jeep Wrangler I've only put a 4 inch lift on it I also have a donor vehicle it's an 82 Datsun king cab it already has a 231 aluminum block V6 that is set up to takefuel injection and a blower pushes about 550 to 650 hp it also has a turbo 350 tranny and Toyota straight axle's with one time truck gears now I want to get rid of the truck and the frame I want to putThe motor into my jeep with the tranny and the axles should I keep the leaf springs that came on the straight axles or weld on new brackets for upper and lower control arms.like my jeep has been at already.going with a different motor that is not an option because I already have the donor vehicle mind you this motor out of this truck has less then 2000 miles on it.I already know how to make my motor mounts my crossmember for the tranny

You are starting to make more sense now. Your terminology is a bit confusing, there aren't any one time gears or one ton gears. Axles from one ton vehicles are typically a Dana 60 front axle and a 14 bolt or sterling 10.25 rear not toyota axles. There are different gear ratios for these axles which I think is what you mean. As far as your plan goes you can beef up your stock axles with far less work . Toyota axles are decent but not a huge upgrade. If you go with the motor swap it is still a lot of work and you will be surprised at how it can nickle and dime you

Any Toyota axle that can handle 550 hp power will be the first I have ever seen. I had fj40 with a nice 383 and it ate up pinions on my cruiser like a fat kid with a stack of Oreos

Last edited:
I've been scouring Craigslist for one time axles with no luck :redneck:
This would be the perfect combo for my semi elliptical buggy leaf linked coilover setup.....:wtf: Are you interested in selling?

shags jeep

yes you got it. they both run and drive ( jeep and the datsun ) im just not into trucks much so i thought why not use it to build a lil monster jeep. some like you seem to really put thought into questions posted and may have some good input. unlike some of the mental midgets on here that just reply with bullshit.i got a great deal on the truck i new the guy that had it built back in the 80s he put $25000 into it and drove it only to truck shows, then in 1990 parked it in the barn and move a hay trailer here and there the motor is rock f***in solid it will brake all 4 tires lose (35-12-15) on dry pavement :). dont know the transfer case they put on it and the axle have 1 ton (not time) my bad) truck gears, dont know the ratio i will try put put up pics when i figure out how to lol

Shag.

Last edited: