• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

24v winch on a 12v system?

Fish

Has anyone here every run a 24v winch on on there rig and you have a 12v system?

I came across a MIL 9000 Warn winch (24v) and I was thinking about trying to wire it up in my truck. Does anyone know an inexpensive way to wire it up... Just looking for some feedback :awesomework:

Thanks in advance.

I don't think it will be 'cheap' but you can dual-battery your rig.

You'll have to switch some pretty high current wires around to go between charging and winching though. Parallel for charging, series for winching.

IMO, probably not worth the hassle, unless you want to be able to stick weld with 24v as well :D

I don't think it will be 'cheap' but you can dual-battery your rig.

You'll have to switch some pretty high current wires around to go between charging and winching though. Parallel for charging, series for winching.

IMO, probably not worth the hassle, unless you want to be able to stick weld with 24v as well :D

weld with 24v would be excellent :cool: Im going to run by my fathers place today and take a look in his boat it has a switch that's basicly a duty switch that allows you to switch between series/paraller. Might be useful if this is something that will work. If it something that work I will start a build post on it. Could be some good tech info.:clappy:

If you used a switch to go from parallel to series would you still be able to run the engine and drive while winching? :eeek:

If the price is right on the winch it would be worth it to pick it up and repower it. Motors can be had for around 125$.:awesomework:

OK. To much crap has to be rewired to get this winch wired up. Plus I don't know how reliable it would be once it is finished. I'm going to check on getting a 12v motor instead... way easier then the hassle of trying to wire it up.