• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

27 to 29 spline upgrade

MarcW

are 2 splines worth upgrading? i have been known to break shiat, but i have also been lightening up my right foot lately :flipoff: vehicle is my 96 cherokee with a chrylser 8.25 rear, this month im upgrading to 34'' swampers and 4.56's, and also welding the diff in the back. i am planning on throwing some yukon alloys in there, but im not sure if the 29 spline upgrade is worth it in my situation. stick to the 27's or upgrade to the 29's? if it matters, 4.0l with a couple goodies, ax15, 231 combo. :D

Thanks in advance.
Marc

Since you're buying alloys, and you'll also have the carrier out to do the gear setup, go 29 spline. I forget if you have to replace the whole carrier or if you can just replace the side gears, but either way you'll have it all apart.

NotMatt said:
Since you're buying alloys, and you'll also have the carrier out to do the gear setup, go 29 spline. I forget if you have to replace the whole carrier or if you can just replace the side gears, but either way you'll have it all apart.

you have to replace the whole carrier because the bore is larger on the 29 spliners. are all the bearings the same? on yukons website, it lists the 29 spliners are a little shorter (less than 1/8 combined) are the housings the same width? and do you know anyone that has a 29 spline carrier?