• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2WD Toyota 4 Runner

slednecks1124

I've got a 95 toyota 4 runner that is 2 wheel drive, anyone ever converted one to 4wd? Ive thought about doing a SAS and converting it to 4WD because no point of having a 2wd 4 runner :rb:

Pretty straightfoward if you're planning on doing the conversion with a solid axle... shouldn't be much different than doing a SAS on a 4wd IFS rig, other than adding in the need to swap in a 4wd transmission and t-case (or t-cases if you go duals). Then you're going to need to build or buy a front and rear driveline as well.

and steering box mounts which you might want to buy anyway if you are going to move the front axle forward. i did a 2wd drive to 4x4 conversion, some ups and downs but id do it again. most of the front suspesion brackets unbolt from the frame which is nice when doing the sas, less cutting and grinding, the only downs are the steering box, cross member, and you have to rig the e-brake cable differently, otherwise pretty simple.

Yes 6 lug, but I am not sure on the gear ratio, have not checked into it yet.

I would think they would use the same frame as the 4wd, correct?

and steering box mounts which you might want to buy anyway if you are going to move the front axle forward. i did a 2wd drive to 4x4 conversion, some ups and downs but id do it again. most of the front suspesion brackets unbolt from the frame which is nice when doing the sas, less cutting and grinding, the only downs are the steering box, cross member, and you have to rig the e-brake cable differently, otherwise pretty simple.

you must have done a swap on a truck not a 4runner.

The runners in the 95 vintage are exactly the same frame form 2x to 4x4.

They leave out the diff and shafts and tranny/tcase.

Outers are the same, steering is the same, all the same. Just start adding parts.

you must have done a swap on a truck not a 4runner.

The runners in the 95 vintage are exactly the same frame form 2x to 4x4.

They leave out the diff and shafts and tranny/tcase.

Outers are the same, steering is the same, all the same. Just start adding parts.

yes it was a 2wd truck, so i guess that would be an easy conversion, no different from doing a sas on a 4x4. on a lighter note i know someone who bought a 2wd 4runner older body style late 80's that had the same frame as a 2wd truck with 5 lug. maybe they put a 4runner body on a truck frame... weird:eeek:

yes it was a 2wd truck, so i guess that would be an easy conversion, no different from doing a sas on a 4x4. on a lighter note i know someone who bought a 2wd 4runner older body style late 80's that had the same frame as a 2wd truck with 5 lug. maybe they put a 4runner body on a truck frame... weird:eeek:

2wd truck frames are the same rails/shape as 79-85 4x4 framerails, just different susp and crossmembers.

Older 2 door runners are very rare 2x.

Ive always wanted a 2wd runner. Is it for sale? Pics?

Could be for sale, how much ya got??:redneck: I just had the front and rear brakes replaced and brake fluids flushed, new rear axle seals & bearings w/ diff fluids flushed, new interstate battery & new terminals, and few other things. That was all done by New Sound Muffler & Brake, was almost $800.00

Last edited:
So the wife said she wants a commuter car instead of the 4 runner as she drives from Yelm to Down town tacoma every day. Anyone wanna trade my 4 runner for their nice commuter car???