• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

3/4 ton brakes

L

lowbudgetjunk

These may be the last brakes the tow pig ever gets. I've had it two years, put 6k total miles on it and the brakes were sketchy to begin with. Been looking on RockAuto at some of the brake pads and rotors. OEM, just bigger than OEM, all the way to drilled and slotted with ceramic pads. I rarely drive it except to pick up liquor orders, towing an 18 foot trailer with some piece of **** crawler or occasionally if my wife borrows the van. That being said.......is it worth the coin to buy expensive brakes or just go back to OEM? Is there that much of a difference in a half an inch larger rotor? I run 16 inch wheels so I have a little extra room, but not a whole lot.

These are going on a 2000 Ford quad cab w/a 7.3 and 4wd if that makes any difference.

Just arm chair quarterbacking here, but when I looked into it, all the power stroke forums said that drilled/slotted rotors suck on a tow rig. And I seem to remember them recommending "green stuff" pads or something like that? I just ended up going with whatever nice stuff advanced had. Stops fine on 37s.

Kel, just put a good oem quality pad like a bendix or a Wagner thermo quiet pad with some new rotors and you'll be fine. There's a reason that pads last over 100k on a new vehicle. Brake pads are one of those things that you definitely get what you pay for. I refuse to put cheap pads on any of my customers cars. They squeal, dust out, wear quickly or eat rotors. Good pads and it'll be like a new truck. :dblthumb:

For the good pads and rotors for the front it's gonna be right at 200 bucks. That sound about right? I was thinking it'd be more, but I don't change brakes on the Reg.

Wagner thermo quiets brought the suck for me! Put em on my 06 cummins with new rotors and they were rough and squeeled something awful! :****:

I have been needing to do the brakes on my 2000 f350 for a while now. I too was wondering about the slotted rotors and ebc pads.

Petersons just did a writeup on there dodge tow rig and did yellow stuff pads in the rear and orange in the front. Said the fronts had more bite. The rotors were slotted and dimpled. And said were a factory fit. I assume that ment factory sized.

But I know they are paid to pimp products so I still can't decide.

noshoes said:
Wagner thermo quiets brought the suck for me! Put em on my 06 cummins with new rotors and they were rough and squeeled something awful! :****:

Proof that even brake pads can't stand dodges. :rolf: :rolf: ;D

lowbudgetjunk said:
For the good pads and rotors for the front it's gonna be right at 200 bucks. That sound about right? I was thinking it'd be more, but I don't change brakes on the Reg.

Ya Kel, the pads should be about 60-75$ and then probably 40-50 each for the rotors.

I found the culprit to be a sticking piston on the passenger front caliper. Replaced that too. Hopefully my MPG drop off was a direct result of that caliper and it will magically go back up. I didn't do the slotted or drilled, but I did go with the ceramic pads.

Re: Re: 3/4 ton brakes

Steele3 said:
I have been needing to do the brakes on my 2000 f350 for a while now. I too was wondering about the slotted rotors and ebc pads.

Petersons just did a writeup on there dodge tow rig and did yellow stuff pads in the rear and orange in the front. Said the fronts had more bite. The rotors were slotted and dimpled. And said were a factory fit. I assume that ment factory sized.

But I know they are paid to pimp products so I still can't decide.
I would assume that slotted and drilled rotors would help a truck towing, or course being married I can assume I'm wrong to. I saw a friend driving his sons Lightening this weekend with drilled and slotted rotors with EBC green pads it did a good job of stopping, but a SVT Lightening and a three quarter to one ton tow rig are two completely separate beasts.

I just ordered the top of the line "power stop" kit from Rockauto (drilled slotted, etc) for my dmax, to replace the 240k mile OEM brakes.

I'll put em on this week, bed em in, and report back on how well I like em. I'm sure they'll be better than what's on there now. My rear rotors only have about half the surface of the rotor that the pad is actually making contact with...

Re:

I can tell a huge difference in braking. The slightly larger rotor and ceramic pads feel great. Need to hook a trailer to it and see how it goes.

Kel Lawrence