• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

302/351 camshafts

pokey

just me
Since I have this brand new performer cam and related parts I was thinking about putting it in the 351w thats in the jeep now. Somewhere I thought I read this will work and that all I have to do is change the firing order on the distributer to the 302 pattern. Is this correct ?

Since I have this brand new performer cam and related parts I was thinking about putting it in the 351w thats in the jeep now. Somewhere I thought I read this will work and that all I have to do is change the firing order on the distributer to the 302 pattern. Is this correct ?

Yup, it's all about the firing order. :D

yes, it will inter-change as long as it is roller to roller or flat tappet to flat tappet. Then just go with the 302 firing order, 15426378.

Which cam profile did you go with?

yes, it will inter-change as long as it is roller to roller or flat tappet to flat tappet. Then just go with the 302 firing order, 15426378.

Its a edelbrock performer. Should work well with the performer intake already on the motor. Both are flat tappet hyd motors. The 351 is a 85 and I believe the 302 is as well. Motor is stock except for the intake / carb and the headers.

most ppl change to the 351 cam in the 302s because its a more efficient firing order i would think it would almost be down grade to put a 302 cam in a 351 even if it is a high pro cam. I just went with a rv cam in my 351 couldn't be happier

Last edited:
most ppl change to the 351 cam in the 302s because its a more efficient firing order i would think it would almost be down grade to put a 302 cam in a 351 even if it is a high pro cam. I just went with a rv cam in my 351 couldn't be happier

So what do you think ? Seemed like a good idea :eeek:

Why dont ya just go wheel it and find out if it needs a cam?

Doesn't "need" one it has plenty of torque as is but while I have the nose off I figured what the heck is one more day of work:haha: just finished up the new radiator mount tonight and will be doing the fan mount tomorrow night. Of course with this wider radiator now my headlights don't fit anymore so I picked up a set of hella slim line lamps to put in instead.

if you got the cam might as well try it out i guess. It wont hurt anything. If it works better you know its good if it dont then you know that as well. I got the double roller timing chain with the variable timing crank gear. I tried 4 deg retard didn't like it so when stock and then went 4 degs advanced. Took it apart 3 times before i found what i liked. Thats the funny thing about cams :awesomework: :redneck:

So what do you think ? Seemed like a good idea :eeek:

The specs will work for a torque cam. It is an upgrade just not a significant upgrade. Definitely not a monster... That would be what I would recommend for an ECU friendly upgrade. I would probably put a 214 duration cam. Better torque curve and power.

That cam would definitely work better in the smaller cid 302. I can make the bigger profile on it if you'd prefer.

Last edited:
if you got the cam might as well try it out i guess. It wont hurt anything. If it works better you know its good if it dont then you know that as well. I got the double roller timing chain with the variable timing crank gear. I tried 4 deg retard didn't like it so when stock and then went 4 degs advanced. Took it apart 3 times before i found what i liked. Thats the funny thing about cams :awesomework: :redneck:

4 degrees advanced is the torque setting and should be far superior for wheeling. 4 degrees retarded would be for top end horsepower. Better for a race engine.

I installed the double roller 4* advanced in my 302 and it picked up noticable low end torque. When I put the roller rockers on, it really liked that.

204-214 at .050 is pretty mild for a 351 and should match your personality just right pokey :awesomework:

A few years back my friend put a 351 in his EB 218-224 at .050 but the lobe separation is @ 112* if I remember, and the heads are small chamber with zero deck flat tops. definate idle but throttle response and low to mid range is good and it pulls hard to 5800. I wouldn't reccommend it for a manual rig but it works great in an auto.

I installed the double roller 4* advanced in my 302 and it picked up noticable low end torque. When I put the roller rockers on, it really liked that.

my 351 came stock with 2bbl and 275horses at 8.5 to 1.iI put a performer and a truck avenger (need to rejet half throttle is choking) I could only imagine if i was to supercharge it. The advanced setting is awsome i almost feel i should've went with a lil more aggresive cam tho. I like the rumble of a race cam lol :redneck:

I have a 9.5:1 '68 302... And my truck avenger is also useless at part throttle.

hmm i'm thinking my primaries are too big. not enough air at half for all that fuel. I'm going to take mine to a holley guy. I don't anything about rejetting i'm hopin he'll tell me a thing or two. usually i can call holley and tell them my app and they send me good jets but i thought this one was under cfm still may be. :mad: