• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

35" Woes!

Rubigoddess

So, yesterday I went wheelin. Coming down a trail, getting ready to go down another one, and all of a sudden I have NO brakes. The 35"s finally wore through the hardline of the brakeline. Luckily I was with some resourceful people who could get me home safe. Problem is this: I dont want it to happen again.

So, I called a place to see if I can get some spacers for the wheels to prevent further rubbing. He was REALLY discouraging me from going that route because of safety issues. Then he recommended getting some differnent wheels with a negative offset, but "that too has some safety issues" :rolleyes: He finally recommended going with a steering block.

So, what are your opinions and/or recommendations on this?

I have used spacers for a long time and never had a problem,,

Can you reroute the brake lines???

Shelly, I had the same thing happen with mine on a not-so-good spot @ Evans Creek.

I just ended up re-routing the lines on top of the frame as opposed to running alongside it. So far so good.

Last edited:
In the front? On a TJ? I used to run 35" tires on standard 3.75" backspacing and never had the lines rub the tires. Can you post a picture of your setup? Using spacers or less backspacing to correct the problem shouldn't be necessary, and is probably the wrong way to go about it.

also carrie some vise grips (and zip ties) with you, then you can just pinch off the line that is leaking.

It happens to all of use.

48106511.jpg

Check out Spidertrax for some bolt-on style wheelspacers for the 5 on 4.5 pattern... I'm a fan of simply re-routing the hard lines out of harm's way though... less expensive.

boxboy said:
also carrie some vise grips (and zip ties) with you, then you can just pinch off the line that is leaking.

Yes we did that. That line was being a PIA though. The pressure kept building up and spewing fluid everywhere. I now have a wide variety of hardlines in the heep, as well as plenty o' fluid! :D

When Amanda (olllllllo) blew her line, we crimped it off. Since then she just relocated a factory replacement line. So far, so good. And for repairs, get a plug for the output of the master cylineder. The plug is smaller than a dime. Plug the output, and you've still got rear brakes. No leaks, just diminished panic stops. Plenty safe for the ride home. And don't space the wheels, or buy replacement wheels, or adjust your turning stops to prevent rubbing. FRAME RUBBING IS GOOD! It means you utilizing all the available turning capacity of the rig. Just move the brake lines to the top of the frame rail. Keep them safely out of the way. It's the cheapest and best repair. And you'll probably find that a replacement factory brake line is the cheapest and easiest fix. Bending hard lines is a PITA for those who haven't done it before to get them the right shape.

Tony

TreeClimber said:
When Amanda (olllllllo) blew her line, we crimped it off. Since then she just relocated a factory replacement line. So far, so good. And for repairs, get a plug for the output of the master cylineder. The plug is smaller than a dime. Plug the output, and you've still got rear brakes. No leaks, just diminished panic stops. Plenty safe for the ride home. And don't space the wheels, or buy replacement wheels, or adjust your turning stops to prevent rubbing. FRAME RUBBING IS GOOD! It means you utilizing all the available turning capacity of the rig. Just move the brake lines to the top of the frame rail. Keep them safely out of the way. It's the cheapest and best repair. And you'll probably find that a replacement factory brake line is the cheapest and easiest fix. Bending hard lines is a PITA for those who haven't done it before to get them the right shape.

Tony
Yes, we did end up getting one of those really cool bender thingies (thats my official girl lingo) and then just copied the route of the old line.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Rubigoddess said:
I guess that didn't occur to me because it was never suggested !

I'll definately look into that, because it would be alot cheaper.

Never suggested? hee hee hee

Yo Ed, how many times was that? ;)

That is a good idea tho, thinking of moving mine forward about an inch since mine are within 1/4" of doing the same thing now.

Just glad we got you and your son home safe :clappy:

well since you need new brake lines I would go with braided steel lines and just reroute them so then wont rub. Zip ties are a wheelers best friend. :redneck: or use some small springs to hold them out of the way but giving them room to move, thats what I did.

cheapest way would be to get new factory brake lines and zip tie them out of the way.

I've rubbed through mine so many damn times but i started putting like 3/8's fuel line hose around them, about 7" of it right off the caliper keeps the line straight and away from the tire. havent had any rubbing yet and if it does it'll rub the rubber first and hopefully i'll be able to cetch it before it gets the the brake line.

JT Law said:
Never suggested? hee hee hee

Yo Ed, how many times was that? ;)

That is a good idea tho, thinking of moving mine forward about an inch since mine are within 1/4" of doing the same thing now.

Just glad we got you and your son home safe :clappy:

Was it suggested? Hmmm, guess i was only hearing "You have to get spacers". ;)

Thanks again for everything!