• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

39"s and a 8.8???

JOOP

I WON a COOKIE
Well I came across a deal on a truck and bought it mainly for the tires 39.5 TSL's. At first I thought I blew my money because they just were huge. But today I mounted them and to be honest I like it. I'm a little concerned about my Dana 44 up front, but not as much as my 8.8. Now I have found kits for 35 spline 8.8's with a spool, and moser alxes for about $900-950. I've been beating that idea around for awhile. But if a super 88 kit will hold up to 39"s, then I might go that route.

Pics for you guys.
2009-06-15193613.jpg

2009-06-15194241.jpg

2009-06-15194255.jpg

2009-06-15194455.jpg

2009-06-15194512.jpg

In the rear I'm going to have to trim just a bit off the front of the wheel well. The rest will be fine. I might trim it a tad more and clean it up.

SO has anyone ran this combo?? My 44 is built.

I'd be more worried about shafts and joints in the 44.... the weakest part of the 8.8 is the stock carrier. If you have a detroit or spool, a Super 88 kit should do you well... Just remember your really need 'tons and are at the strength limit of your axles...

I've seen some YJ's out there in BBS world runnin this combo, with the super 88 kit, and seems to hold up to a fair amt of abuse...just gotta be careful, and expect to break something once in awhile...:awesomework:

if its a 31spline 8.8 it will long out live the D44, as said before the carrier is know as the weak point.
Be sure to weld the tubes to the case as they have been known to turn :awesomework:

if its a 31spline 8.8 it will long out live the D44, as said before the carrier is know as the weak point.
Be sure to weld the tubes to the case as they have been known to turn :awesomework:

Already did. Running a detroit and welded the tube's years ago. I'll just take it easy on the skinny pedal. Until I build up my confidence in the axle's again. With 36''s I beat the **** out of them.

Ran 37's for years with my 8.8's< note the s on that.

You wont have an issue with the shafts but you will most
likely bent or crack the housing.

No bull, 3 housings in less then a year. Only plus to
yours is that it is under a Jeep and mine was under a Full Size Bronco.

the 44 shafts wont last long im running 38's with 760 u joints and have the caps welded and i go through a couple of shafts a year go get a 60 you'll be better off in the long haul

I beat the piss out of my 8.8 with the 38.5x16.5x15 with the limited slip I never worried about the rear but when I put the ARB in then I took it a little more easy on it but I also had the 8.8 4-linked guesseted and tubes welded.

The only issue I ever had was with the 8.8 is I spun the washer with the copper tub and ripped the tube off. I think the 8.8 is still running strong in a TJ.

On a side note I destroyed D44 axle shafts and u-joints every trip out :redneck:

Junk the 44 I run 39.5 on a 44 with true track and cant wait to run out of axles so the wife will let me have a 60. I break axles everytime out. good luck :haha::haha:

What gears are you running? I wouldnt drop another dime on the 8.8. 60s and 14bolts can be found very cheap if you dont need a gear change. Even then for 900 you could get a 14b with detroit, gears, and a couple 8 lug steel wheels (or just get h1 beadlocks).

Only problem is the 8.8, flange is week and will bend. When the flange bends just buy replacement aftermarket(they have stronger flanges).

Oh yea and the housing is crap.

Hummm- turd polishing comes to mind here.:haha:

Really money ahead to go to a D60/14 bolt/D70 whatever your flavor is.

Oh and go wheel it, have fun, don't upgrade till it breaks. If you worry about breaking you aren't having fun.