• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

3link guides

spurge

hello i was wondering if there is any guides on setting up and building a 3 link suspesion. also is there any guides on how to use the 3link calculator. sorry if these are dumb questions im just trying to learn

spurg

also if im running 40's where about should my wheel base be. i will mostly be wheeling in evans creek reiter elbe walker valler tahuya and some random places by my house. also is there any shops around issaquah that would be willing to tell me how to set it up. ive heard that i can set the truck at the ride hight i want set my axle were i want it place the shock were i want and then throw links at it but i doubt that would have good results. am i right

It is much more complex if you want to get into the nitty gritty details on how the vehicle will handle (from what I read).

The first thing you have to always factor in is where your components will sit within what space you have. What will the links hit, oil pan etc., what will the axles hit, how tall is your ideal ride height, etc. What kind of steering setup are you going to run is another factor, especially if your going to have a draglink.

Second, you have to determine what your ideal ride qualities are within your size / location limitations (see #1). Do the axles steer during articulation or not, what happens when you apply the throttle (stinkbug, or suspension rise), likewise with braking. Vehicle weight and roll center, blah blah, so on and so on.

Third, you have to figure out what strength suspension components you will need for the layout you figured out in #2. Then check prices, determine what you can afford and the revise #2 as necessary.

Fourth, the actual fabrication, concequencial redesign because of some factor you forgot and trying to figure out how to weld to cast iron.

Fun fun, I hear yah on doing it yourself. Still, there are some serious obstacles ahead. Good luck on your project!

P.S. Call S+N, it might just be easier to have them take care of the above. I hear they like Budweiser too. :d1:

also if im running 40's where about should my wheel base be. i will mostly be wheeling in evans creek reiter elbe walker valler tahuya and some random places by my house. also is there any shops around issaquah that would be willing to tell me how to set it up. ive heard that i can set the truck at the ride hight i want set my axle were i want it place the shock were i want and then throw links at it but i doubt that would have good results. am i right

I'd PM Darius on the board, you may be able to pay him to come out and help you set it up, or sweep your garage (sorry, inside joke) Like boxxerace mentioned links are pretty complex, and the most important part of your suspension IMO.

ya since the deal fell through on the s10 i was going to link as well as the axles i just want learn how to. were can i learn all this roll axis, anti squat, axle wrap/steer stuff i keep hearing about. ive seen a couple articles but i cant find them anymore.

Search in pirate 4x4 under link suspensions. There is enuff info to keep reading 4 days. And some of it might actually be good info!!!

T MADD thanks for that link. it makes a link suspension seem duable without having to know greek:awesomework: