• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

3rd gen 4 runner link question.

Rjhoward32006

Okay so i was at the junk yard snooping around for some parts and noticed a 3rd gen 4 runner rear axle housing laying around.
It is a bare housing with link bars and coil springs.

My question is has anyone ever tried to put one of these under a pickup?
Took a couple quick measurements and it seems fairly close. The lowers are more or less straight (in terms of triangulation)
The uppers are triangulated, but factory they are running a panhard/trac bar. Seems overkill to me.
The coil springs would be inboard of the frame. Just build a landing pad with a spring retainer for the top.
Sleeve and lengthen the stock link bars and make some frame side uppers.
Looks like you may even be able to use the front leaf spring hanger for the lowers.

Thinking about swapping my chunk from my 85 and i have a set of long shafts lying around. Also just ordered rear disc brackets and have all of that to swap on.

Tried searching on pirate and google but all that ends up with is mall crawlers yelling about whos bolt on 3rd gen lift is better....

Re:

The link brackets and mounts are all so thin that they need to be rebuilt anyway. Better off just buying new brackets from Barnes4wd ( or building your own) and putting them on a truck housing.

You think so, this is a DD truck that i play in from time to time.
It's locked with chromos on 32's will never see over a 35 maybe not that big.
I'm really just wanting a bit of a smoother ride and to just try something new

Rjhoward32006 said:
You think so, this is a DD truck that i play in from time to time.
It's locked with chromos on 32's will never see over a 35 maybe not that big.
I'm really just wanting a bit of a smoother ride and to just try something new

I'm on my second 3rd gen 4Runnerr. Both did/do trail and road duty. The stock brackets are too thin IMO. The ones on my 99 were all bent up and beat after 2 years. The ones under my 97 now are going to get replaced with brackets from Barnes whenever I get around to it or when I make some new rear links.

Rjhoward32006 said:
10-4 i may beef them up i got plenty of plate laying around.

Anyone know if a 4cyl diff and ifs width rear axles will fit this housing?

4cyl diff will fit. Axles will fit also... But if it as an ABS housing, the shafts will be just a little bit shorter. They'll still work tho.

10/4 thanks was told the same on pirate.
I'll may just get the shafts for it idunno.

But i'm probably gonna try it. Give me somethin to do. And if it don't work out o well, it will give me more to do lol
Isn't that the purpose of this sport. Constantly change everything lol

JRoach321 said:
So 3rd gen runner axles arent Tacoma width? I really should know this. . .

Come to think of it, I'm not sure either. I had it in my head that he was looking at 2nd gen runner axles...

I do know that 4runners never came with the "8.4" tacoma girdle diff...

Rjhoward32006 said:
This is a 99? So is that a second or third gen? Now i'm confused lol
Don't know if it was a elocker or not because its a bare housing.

3rd gen. 96 was the first year.
IDK how to tell if the 3rd is out of it...

Re: Re: Re: 3rd gen 4 runner link question.

CheapJ7 said:
3rd gen. 96 was the first year.
IDK how to tell if the 3rd is out of it...
E locker housing will look like it had a square notch cut out in the driver side of the 3rd member mounting flange