• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4.0 1/2 ton buggy reliability?

jesse102

thinking of building a small buggy 2 seater, 110'' wheelbase, stock 4.0 engine transmission and transfer, dana 44 Yukon chromos and Yukon superjoints, ford 8.8 rear, lockers trussed , air shocks....37'' iroks.... .... all I have ever ran is 1 ton stuff and v8s and 42's but ready for something different ...... will this setup be good since I will be going for super lightweight??????? I will listen to everything anyone has to say thanks

just gonna put it all in a buggy and was wondering what I should expect......the 4.0 turns the tire suprisingly well

That would be Natedawgxj on here, I will let him chime in, but he is on ton's and pretty sure I read he was fixing to put some whoo-pow in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All I can say is a 4.0 is not a light motor!! It weighs as much or more than a first Gen V-8 Chevy. if you truly want a light weight rig were the Dana 44's will last you need to look into 4 cylinders IMO.

Blase said:
All I can say is a 4.0 is not a light motor!! It weighs as much or more than a first Gen V-8 Chevy. if you truly want a light weight rig were the Dana 44's will last you need to look into 4 cylinders IMO.
What he said! My samy buggy was perfect had 1.6 and waggy dana 44s. Also do yourself a favor and swap 8.8 for a 9''

I would guess just from watching friends with 300's blow theirs, output shafts.

I would go with a 231 over the 300 any day, but a rubi trac-241OR is a great choice