• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4.3 or 302

Special K

So i was thinking about doing a motor swap and I got to thinking, i don't wanna jack my s10 to the sky, i am thinking 6 inches max. so 33 or 35 inch tires, i haven't figured it out just yet. i don't do any serious rock crawling or do i have the money it takes to be able to make a serious wheeling rig or be able to buy parts when i break stuff. so my thoughts are just taking the 4.3l i already have in the truck and beefing it up as much as it will go. cuz i think for such a small truck a 350 is a lot of motor. don't get me wrong i ain't knocking anybody for doing it am just saying for my situation. my truck is going to be mainly a camping rig, junk hauler, weekend mud pit thrashing truck. but then i got to thinking about a 302. if i fix a 302 up and put it in that won't be a ton of motor either and it might be better than fixing up my 4.3l. but let me know what your opinions are. sorry for such a long read. thanks for reading.

Hi all,

Which 4.3L V-6 do you have in the rig so far?

A Vortec 4.3L produces a lot more power than the TBI version. No changes in motor mounts, cooling system, transmission, etc.

Regards,

Alan

A 4.3 is a good motor and if you don't have a lot of money for a build/repairs stick with it. A 302 would certainly have more pep but if you want a V8 a 305 might be better for your build. Wheel what you got and save your pennies for an upgrade down the road.

Yup..Keep it chevy as mentioned before if you are stuck on doing a V-8 swap...the cost of an adapter to convert to Ford would dter me from doing something like that. 305TBI units can be had for dirt cheep...
Personally I'd keep the 4.3L and spend the dough on some drivetrain upgrades to help it live...

I would keep it chevy if you can, when I first put the 327 in my s10 I thought it would have some decent power it was more of a turd, I swapped in a 454 and a sm 465 I wish it was the first thing I did.