• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4.3 Questions

Snowrunner

Im in the process of getting parts ordered up for my 98 4.3 mpfi going in my yota and have run across a couple questions. First one is what flywheel do I need for this motor? Ive run across lots of different info as far as it needing to have an imbalance of 23.4 oz, externally ballanced, or internally balanced. Whats the difference between the 3 and which one do I need. Second in regards to the fly wheel once I know which one I need does anyone know who makes one in a 20-30lb version? Third question, what is the size of the fuel inlet and outlet on the motor from what ive read its metric fitting with an oring but I cant find what size.

Thanks for the help

The fittings are metric o-ring saginaw style, and I believe 16mm/18mm. Sorry I dont remeber the pitch, put if get the russel/ earls/ whoever adapters to 6AN they will only be offered in one pitch anyways.

As far as the flywheel, I have had three of these motors so far (a 99', an 02', and 03'), and each one has had a weight on the flexplate in the same spot, same size. If you just order a flexplate (or look up) one for a 98' Chevy S-10 with a 5 speed at a parts store, you will get one that has the correct balance. Does Advance Adapters sell a flywheel specific to their adapter?

Dont think there is a specific flywheel at least they dont mention it in there instructions or have one listed. Thanks for the fitting size. Most the stuff I found was aparently for a tbi which people have listed as 14mm and 16 mm. Thanks for the info so far keep it coming.

Here is where i got mine for my 98 4.3 swap. Little pricy but i need them ASAP. There real fragile light weight. If you put them in make sure you put them in nice and smooth. And try to only do it once, if you take them on and off for test fits or mock ups the o-rings go bad and they just get scratched easily. Hope that helps. PS if you need more info on this swap Diagrams ect... I have been collecting it for the past 2-years. Specific to your SWAP. although mine was going into a 95 3.0 4Runner.
http://www.jegs.com/i/DFI/310/74730/10002/-1

Later

Thanks for the info mike, but it just confused me more I went to accel site and it says those are 3/8 and 5/16 fittings not metric ones. Ill keep searching might just have to order some and try it out. What kind of info do you have on a flywheel? That and the fuel line are the only two things hanging me up from getting this thing all slapped together.

Thanks for the info mike, but it just confused me more I went to accel site and it says those are 3/8 and 5/16 fittings not metric ones. Ill keep searching might just have to order some and try it out. What kind of info do you have on a flywheel? That and the fuel line are the only two things hanging me up from getting this thing all slapped together.

not sure what thats about on the accel site what do you mean by those fittings are you referencing to the link i sent, Maybe it 3/8 fittings instead of 6an with a 5/16 return line out the back? All i know is that the ones i ordered are the correct fit. Work fine no leaks nothing. As far as the fly wheel, i got my motor complete with tranny so never had to really look into that.:awesomework:

not sure what thats about on the accel site what do you mean by those fittings are you referencing to the link i sent, Maybe it 3/8 fittings instead of 6an with a 5/16 return line out the back? All i know is that the ones i ordered are the correct fit. Work fine no leaks nothing. As far as the fly wheel, i got my motor complete with tranny so never had to really look into that.:awesomework:

:cool: Sorry didnt even realize those were Accel fittings. I just saw them in my jegs mag and ordered them. I couldn't find them on there web site to see what they were saying about them.

Not positive about your 98 but my 96 uses any flywheel for a one piece rear main V8, as long as it fits inside the bellhousing and fits starter size.
I used a 153 tooth and my gear reduction starter didnt work, had to use a conventional old chevy starter.
I bet you need a 168.

Im going with the 153 so I dont have to change the starter that came with my motor or do anything with the bellhousing. So are all chevy flywheels pretty much the same then? Im pretty sure I need one with the 23.4 oz of imbalance to it.

Im going with the 153 so I dont have to change the starter that came with my motor or do anything with the bellhousing. So are all chevy flywheels pretty much the same then? Im pretty sure I need one with the 23.4 oz of imbalance to it.

No your backwards, your motor comes with a 168 tooth, and thats the one you would need to use for a stock starter. NAPA shows the flywheel as a 168 tooth, 14.14" diameter, with a weight on it. If you dont try to backwards engineer it and just order one for the rig that the motor came out of then you will get the right one.

I was wrong on the fuel fittings, they are 14 and 16mm. I was thinking of steering box fittings I ordered at the same time. Those Accel fitting are the same general style, just not the right thread. Hell dig around for a 14mmx1.5 bolt at the hardware store and you cant match the threads on the return line.

Summit part number for the 16mm fitting: RUS-648060 (16mmx1.5 adapter to 6AN male, 7.99)

Summit part number for the 14mm fitting: RUS-648070 (14mmx1.5 adapter to 6 AN male, 10.99)

Last edited:
Thanks for the help turtle bite its much appreciated. I got the motor from a guy with the intent of putting a 153 tooth flywheel on so its the right one for that, and why im going with 153 tooth parts