• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4.3 v6??

yotawheeler

im thinking about swapping my 22re for a 4.3 so i can get some more power and swap to an auto. dont quite have the room for a v8 so thats my reason for the 4.3 anyways my question is what years would be the best choice for my buggy. i dont know a whole lot about them but from what ive read it seems like 96 and above are the ones most people are running in their rigs so any help would be appreciated.

PM aintstuckjustrestin!!! He did a swap just like this!!! Can tell you all about it!!! I also know a guy looking for a 22RE motor if urs is still good!!

Late 92 and all 93 had the CPI vortec with 190HP vice the earlier 160HP, these can be modified and the ecu can be messed with.:D

I'll be honest. Having a wheeler with a 22re and one with a 4.3 I don't think I'd do it. The RE is a great reliable motor that's lighter and needs no mods to run. With proper gearing they work great for most apps.

I do however love my CPI 4.3. it's just a bunch of work and money to do it right and make it as reliable as the factory 22re. Mine was a 3.0 truck so it was a no brainer to change.

I put a CSFI 4.3 from a 97 blazer in my 4runner. I could spin my 36 swampers through 2nd gear with stock 4.10s. Its a great swap. Never had a problem running stockish suspension and axles and an r150f either.

The most common one that is swapped in is a TBI from the early 90s. I cant remember the exact years though:mad: Reliability of fuel injection with simple wiring.

I had my buddy wire up my CSFI 4.3, and he said it wasnt to hard, just took a little longer than his tbi.

If you do go with a 4.3, make some custom poly motor mounts or something similar. I pulled apart quite a few in a short time. After selling to my buddy he used some chain to limit movement. Works, but is noisy.

thanks for all the replies guys. after doing some research and measuring i might go with a 5.3 or if i get some cash soon enough a friend has a line on a 6.0 so we'll see what happens.